Who said Americans cannot buy a break in Europe? The story of Jay DeMerit’s rise from the PDL to the EPL has been well written, but fewer have tracked the fall and then the rise of Matt Taylor from MLS to USL to USASA to Bundesliga.
Many MLS and USL fans remember Taylor. While at UCLA, Taylor played in the PDL for the Orange County Blue Star, and for eleven games he was paired up top alongside Jurgen Klinsmann. Then Taylor was signed by the KC Wizards who then featured US National Team regular Josh Wolff. In 2005, Taylor went back home to LA to play for expansion team Chivas USA.
Chivas USA was a disaster. Taylor was the focal point of the offense, but injuries and playing on the worst team in MLS history wore the player down. In 2006, injuries and signing of Paco Palenica further undermined Taylor’s standing and in 2007 he left Chivas USA seeking more money in the USL.
Taylor got the contract he wanted in Portland with the Timbers but he didn’t produce and was waived rather quickly. Then he latched on with Hollywood United, the celebrity amatuer side which is also filled with former MLS and USL players. Taylor stood out in the US Open Cup including a shocking upset of Portland and was mysteriously given a trial in Germany.
TuS Koblenz was impressed enough by what they saw in Taylor to sign him and he now has scored nine goals since joining the Bundesliga 2 side. The team currently in a relegation dogfight and hit by injuries has been more dependent on Taylor than ever.
Only in America, or maybe only in Germany if you are an American!
- Clint Dempsey’s two goals for Fulham in Sunday’s 3-1 victory at Eastlands over Manchester City took his scoring tally to eight in all competitions this season and eclipsed last year’s total from Dempsey.
- Luis Robles continues to be out injured for Kaiserslautern
- Jose Francisco Torres was awful in the first half for Pachuca the other night versus Toluca. I watched the entire first half and was no shocked when Enrique Meza pulled the American at half time in favor of the veteran Gabriel Caballero.
- Marcus Tracy played twice this weekend for Aalborg as a substitute but failed to find a goal in either run out.
- Freddy Adu was an unused substitute for Monoco this weekend. As usual Jozy Altidore wasn’t in the match squad for Xerez.
- Charlie Davies opened his account for the young Swedish season but is was not enough as Hammerby continued to be winless early in a 2-1 loss.
- Eddie Johnson came on in the 85th minute with Cardiff City leading Burnley 2-1. The Welsh side ended up winning 3-1, and EJ continues to become a fan favorite in Cardiff, despite little on the pitch success to show for his new found love among the supporters.
- Tomorrow we focus on Hillsborough twenty years later and its impact on the US.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Sundowns start season as they ended the last by topping table
- Haaland warns Premier League much more to come after dream debut
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart, Cologne defeat 10-man Schalke
- Haaland double gives Man City dream start, Man Utd beaten by Brighton
- Haaland’s debut double gives Man City’s title defence lift off
- Dortmund sign Cologne striker Modeste as Haller replacement
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart despite Nkunku strike
- Ten Hag loses first game as Man Utd manager to Brighton
- Ramsey scores on Nice debut to rescue draw in Toulouse
- Germany defender Nico Schulz under investigation for domestic violence