On January 2nd, 2009, Manchester United announced the signing of two Serbian players, Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic, both from Partizan Belgrade.
Tosic, 21, will sign with immediate effect and will wear the number 14 shirt, while 17-year-old striker Ljajic will remain with Partizan until the end of 2009.
Zoran Tosic is a left winger who can also play as an attacking midfielder. He has played at full international level for Serbia twelve times, and previously made 46 appearances with Partizan, scoring 14 goals.
Tosic could be seen as the heir to the throne to replace Ryan Giggs on the left wing after the Welshman retires.
The signing of Tosic and Ljajic seem like smart moves by Sir Alex Ferguson especially since fellow Serb Nemanja Vidic has worked out so well for the club. Plus the transfer fees for Tosic and Ljajic presumably represent better value for money than similar players from other countries, although the transfer fees have not yet been disclosed for both players.
Here’s a highlight reel of Tosic in action in Serbia:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters