- Maryland won its third NCAA title yesterday with a 1-0 victory over North Carolina in Frisco, TX. The Terps came into the tournament as the number two seed behind fellow ACC school, Wake Forest finished the season with 15 straight wins. Graham Zusi scored both game winning goals for the Terps in the College Cup this weekend. Jeremy Hall was in my opinion the most outstanding player however for the Terps yesterday.
- ESPN 2’s coverage of the college cup this weekend was full of the usual ESPN like flaws. Unlike Eric Wynalda who had made a real effort the past two years to understand the culture of college soccer and follow the season, John Harkes was constantly comparing the quality of play, level of play and players to those in the MLS and abroad. Those of us who watch NCAA Soccer know what it is and can be spared the comparisons.
- Congratulations to Toluca for winning the Mexican Apertura title. Toluca is now technically the most successful Mexican club in history but perception is that America’ and Chivas are still much more massive. Also a heartfelt congratulations to Cruz Azul for fighting so valiantly in the second leg of the finals, but falling just short.
- Saturday’s gaffe by Tim Howard which almost created an own goal is part of the reason why some people like myself are still comfortable with him as the US #1. However, no other standout keeper is on the horizon for the national team which means the US must simply hope Howard’s mistakes are limited in international play.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season