In 1949 when George Orwell wrote his epic novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, he painted a forboding picture of a world where Big Brother monitored all of our activity and doublespeak (or as Orwell coined it, newspeak) disguised the true meaning of our language.
When Orwell wrote that classic book, I’m sure he didn’t have football on his mind. In fact, Eric Arthur Blair was hardly a fan of football. But if he was still alive, he would have definitely been interested in the amount of propaganda that is spilled out by football clubs week-in week-out.
If a player or manager gets in trouble on or off the pitch, expect to see the club’s propaganda machine fabricating a quote and providing it to news organizations such as Sky Sports who display every word despite how cliched the quote is.
The reality is that many football players aren’t that literate. Plus the quotes that the clubs create for them all start to sound the same after a while, using the same dried-up cliches and fake sincerity.
What I’d like, for once, is to hear and read real statements from football managers and players. Words that are from the heart instead of from the pen of a publicist. I want to hear words that will make me stop what I’m doing. I want to hear people within football say something interesting and not resort to the usual crap. “It was a team performance.” “We’re just taking each game as it comes.” The list goes on and on.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?