There’s the Anfield that we all know on TV. The sight of Liverpool supporters waving their scarves as millionaires such as Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard run around the pitch. But directly behind Anfield is something that Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett don’t want you to see. The most deprived neighborhood in Britain.
On a visit to Liverpool in 2006, I was shocked to see the state of the rows of houses literally under the shadow of the Main Stand at Anfield. Even on a bright Sunday morning with no one in the streets, I was scared to walk past the houses by myself. I’d seen poverty before in the States, but this was much worse. The majority of the homes were condemned and boarded with metal doors.
Growing up in the UK, I knew how Liverpool had suffered badly during the harsh economic times of the 1980’s, but I was still shocked to see that level of poverty in 2006. Now though David Conn, the best journalist at The Guardian in my estimation, has written a must-read article about how Liverpool’s American owners are hurting local residents due to their inability to raise enough money to build Liverpool’s new ground at Stanley Park.
After reading Conn’s article, he paints a bleak picture for Liverpool supporters and the community around Anfield. The future doesn’t look too bright for Hicks and Gillett either. The sooner they sell Liverpool FC, the better.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan