As you may know former longtime Germany and Bayern no. 1 Oliver Kahn had his testimonial exactly a week ago in Munich. The match, between Bayern and Germany, ended 1-1, but the score was less important than the man honored that night. His accomplishments are legion and well-known, including, perhaps most impressively, being the only goalkeeper to win the FIFA World Cup Golden Ball.
To commemorate his career Adidas released this video to coincide with that match. It is featured as part of its “Impossible is Nothing” series , but is produced in a much more serious tone (in keeping with Kahn’s character) than other “Impossible is Nothing” commercials. Nothing particularly new or shocking is revealed, it’s just a well-made tribute to one of the all-time greats.
For those of you not conversant in German (I imagine that’s why you’re here in the first place and not reading some fine piece of excellent sports journalism auf deutsch) I’ve provided a little transcript to go along with the video. So, in the words of the man himself:
I didn’t actually approach the ball the first time with my feet, but instead I picked it up right away. Yeah, something could come of me and the ball. Talent is a gift you’re given in life, but it’s useless if you’re not willing, in spite of everything, to work hard.
[Milan on May 23, 2001, the Champions League final. A penalty shootout is needed to settle the 1-1 stalemate. Amedeo Carboni, Valencia’s Italian left fullback, has the opportunity to put Valencia ahead 3-2…]
Kaaaahn! It’s not in! Unbelievable!
Becoming the national team goalkeeper was a marathon task for me. I only became the regular keeper in goal for the German national team at age 28 and by then others already quit playing soccer. I’ve always needed a long, long time in order to reach my goals. Success is what’s important to me. And for me that counts even more than, and I’ll say this in quotes, to be “sympathetic” or “immortal” or to be “the tragic hero”.
It was a long, long path and I always needed lots of perseverance. But that’s just how we are. Being a goalkeeper naturally also implies a bit of craziness.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Vitinha joins PSG in club’s first off-season signing
- Serie A reaches TV rights deal with Abu Dhabi Media
- ESPN reveals Women’s Euro 2022 commentators and analysts
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini