The intent of Jorge Luis Pinto´s 22-man roster leaves no doubt as to his intent. A six-point sweep would put them in second place in the standings since Argentina will face Paraguay next weekend. The six points would leave them only nine points away from the magic number of 25 that is going to be needed in order to get to South Africa.
Atlético Madrid central defender Luis Amaranto Perea will make his return to the national team as he was injured in the first six matches of the Cafeteros´ qualifying campaign. He will be accompanied by Sevilla defender Aquivaldo Mosquera who will be going into his second full season with the Nervioneneses.
The Colombian backline as well as the midfield are solid, but the question mark is up front. Players like Radamel Falcao García, Edixon Perea, and Hugo Rodallega are scoring at a torrid pace in their respective leagues, but somehome they find themlselves in a rut when they wear their national team colors. Part of that is due to the scheme that Pinto plays that focsues more on possession as well as being solid on defense.
The solution could be in having MacNelly Torres as the midpoint man and Fabian Vargas behind him in more of an attacking function. This is part of Vargas´ new role at Boca Juniors that saw him flourish while Juan Román Riquelme was in Beijing.
The other solution would be to see Pinto open himself up to new ideas and allow Falcao García to have a more prominent role in the attack. He can do very little off the bench. The drama with these two is ongoing as Pinto will make every sacrifice (and every temper tantrum) imaginable to bring the River Plate star to the national team only to see him sit on the bench.
Goalkeepers: Agustín Julio (Santa Fe), Róbinson Zapata (Steaua Bucarest, ROU).
Defenders: Aquivaldo Mosquera (Sevilla, ESP), Amaranto Perea (Atlético Madrid, ESP), Humberto Mendoza (Atlético Nacional), Estiven Vélez (Atlético Nacional). Pablo Armero (América Cali), Camilo Zúñiga (Siena, ITA), José Portocarrero (Cúcuta Deportivo).
Midfielders: Adrián Ramos (América Cali), Giovanni Hernández (Junior), Macnelly Torres (Colo Colo, CHI), Freddy Guarín (Porto, POR) y Fabián Vargas (Boca Juniors, ARG), José Amaya (Atlético Nacional), Yulián Anchico (Santa Fe), Carlos Sánchez (Valenciennes, FRA).
Forwards: Radamel Falcao García (River Plate, ARG), Hugo Rodallega (Necaxa, MEX), Dayro Moreno (Steaua Bucarest, ROU), Edixon Perea (Gremio, BRA), Tressor Moreno (San Luis, MEX)
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas