As our readers and listeners to the American Soccer Show are aware, I have advocated the use of a 4-5-1 formation for the US Olympic side. I see no reason to change the setup now, but perhaps a change or two should be made to the lineup. The change I’d make is to place Benny Feilhaber who played well for Hamburg what seems like many moons ago and is likely more familiar with how to handle himself in a match against top class European competition should get the start in place of Sacha Kljestan, who depending on the Sunday’s results could be returned into the starting XI for the final group game.
Another possibility is to push Kljestan out wide and place Stuart Holden on the left side while sitting Robbie Rogers. I personally feel Rogers had an underrated match on Thursday and do not advocate his benching even though I wasn’t sure he should have even made the eighteen man squad. Rogers did tend to neglect his defensive responsibilities against Japan but his ability to find space and hold the ball against pressure on out wide was very impressive.
Here is my lineup
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more