Jared Jeffrey Has Signed with a Club in Belgium
Chad Barrett had two appalling first half misses yesterday for Chicago in their 2-0 loss to Chivas USA. But Barrett along with team mates John Thorrington and Chris Rolfe have been called into the national team. Sacha Kljestan and Brad Guzan return to the team as well. The return of Guzan means that the US has four training camp goalkeepers. Expect Tim Howard and Dom Cervi to be released before the trip to Barbados.
Jared Jeffrey is the latest young American player to turn his back on MLS. Jeffrey who is a graduate of US Soccer’s residency program in Bradenton, FL chose to sign with Club Brugge, one of the top teams in the Belgian League. Recently the number of young American players lost by MLS to clubs in Europe and Mexico who are willing to pay more money is striking. If MLS wants to be taken seriously as a league that can develop talent, something it has done very well to this point in its history this needs to change quickly. Speaking of players who bypassed on MLS, Yanks Abroad has an outstanding story on Andrew Jacobson and recovery from injury at FC Lorient in France.
Sporting Life is reporting that Carlos Bocanegra has signed a three year deal with Stade Rennais FC of Ligue Un. Rennes missed out on the Champions League for next season once again by a narrow margin. Next season the club will compete in the UEFA Cup.
Today’s American Soccer Show will air at 2pm ET/11 am PT. It will feature an interview with Brian Zygo of the World Soccer Wrap podcast discussing the Houston Dynamo. Brian is the Serie A and MLS correspondent for the show. Regular contributors Daniel Feuerstein and Mario Valdez also join us to discuss the US Open Cup, Red Bulls-Revs match, US National Team and CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.
Tyrone Marshall, an eleven year MLS veteran scored a goal as Jamaica won the second leg of its tie with the Bahamas 6-0 Wednesday for an aggregate 13-0 victory. Jamaica now advances to the group stage of World Cup qualifying. Marshall joins fellow reggae boy Andy Williams, Carlos Ruiz, Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, Chris Megaloudis, and Peter Villegas as players based in MLS or USL that have scored in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more