This Friday, Christies will auction an original painting from one of the most revered artists in England – L.S. Lowry (1887-1976). The masterpiece is entitled “Manchester City v Sheffield United.”
While his compatriots in England were painting idyllic flowers and landscapes, Lowry was capturing what it was like to live in the north (northern England, that is). The smokestacks, pollution, people, factories and grim conditions that northerners faced. And, most importantly in this instance, the working class going to a football match.
He was famous for painting human figures, which were commonly referred to as “matchstick men.”
Lowry would look on with disdain at the state of football nowadays with the corporate suites, prawn sandwich brigade and expensive seats that are far too expensive for the working class to afford.
Looking at the painting, you can see the line of people walking outside the ground past a man selling, presumably, bets on the match. In the background are the football fans standing on the terraces.
The colors Lowry used in the painting are drab and personify the reality of what the working class wore as well as the hardship of life at the time. The cloth capped men are frozen in time as some of them puff on pipes or smoke a cigarette. Smiles are extinct from the faces of these anonymous people.
In addition to this painting, Lowry also created another football-related painting originally entitled “Football Ground” in 1953. That painting featured fans outside Bolton’s previous ground, Burnden Park.
“Manchester City v Sheffield United” by L.S. Lowry goes on auction at Christies on Friday, June 6.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video
- Mbappe says he will not overstep role as a player under PSG deal
- Dortmund name Terzic as new head coach, sign Ozcan from Cologne
- Man City’s Mendy pleads not guilty to nine sex offences
- New Man Utd boss Ten Hag aims to smash Liverpool-City duopoly
- Teenager Fati summoned by Spain for Nations League matches
- Guardiola hails ‘legends’ as Man City prepare to party