Connect with us

General

Euro 2008 – Predictions from the gut

It’s been a couple weeks since I initially posted but I’m back with some predictions for the European Championships (13 days away).

Group A: Winner – Portugal; Runner-up – Switzerland

Group B: Winner – Germany; Runner- up – Croatia

Group C: Winner – Netherlands; Runner-up – Italy

Group D: Winner – Spain; Runner-up – Russia

Final Four: Portugal v. Germany;  Netherlands v. Spain

Final: Germany v. Netherlands

Winner: Netherlands

I really have no rhyme or reason for these predictions – these are simply just hunches.  I know everyone loves predictions so I’m putting them out here more or less to get them out of the way.  I’m sure that within the first round of games, I’ll be hopelessly off the mark.  I know that other pundits have Spain as a winner because of the impressive collection of talent but something about Spain as well as Portugal has always failed to impress me in big tournaments.  Thoughts?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. betsy's bolton bum baster

June 14, 2008 at 8:40 pm

the qualifying matches don’t have as much to do with whether or not romania beats holland than the fact that holland are going to be resting a majority of their superstars.

2. aleximo

June 14, 2008 at 6:38 pm

hahahaha its funny cause italy or france will b at the bottom of the group… or they might both be at the bottom if romania beat netherlands. And yes romania have a good chance of beating them since in our preliminary matches we tied them and beat them…

3. vlindo10

Group D
    -Spain
    -Russia
    -Sweden
    -Greece

Quarter-finals
    Portugal v Croatia (PORTUGAL)
    Germany v Czech Republic (GERMANY)
    France v Russia (FRANCE)
    Spain v Italy (ITALY)

Semi-finals
    Portugal v Germany (PORTUGAL)
    France v Italy (FRANCE)

Finals
    Portugal v France (PORTUGAL!)

3RD PLACE MATCH UP
    Germany v Italy (GERMANY)

I am actually unsure of whether Holland or Italy will make it out of the group between them two as I think France will make it all the way to the final if not win it all. Then when it comes to Portugal, I am having second thoughts about them winning it all, especially when they have to go through the likes of Germany, which seems a stretch. I have a gut feeling Portugal can do it this year, but Germany are a better team overall as are France.

4. Tomas Rose-hickey(formerly alex hleb)

May 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm

what about france?

5. someguy

May 25, 2008 at 1:14 am

Well I think that the surprise team of the tournament will be Croatia….if they are even considered a “SURPRISE” team…

6. Utd fan

May 24, 2008 at 8:36 pm

My Predictions:

-Portugal
    -Turkey (surprise of group A)

-Germany
    -Croatia

(really tough group. I’m guessing Italy doesn’t make it)
    -France
    -Netherlands

(another very tough group; Greece looked strong in qualifying. I think 2nd is a tossup between Russia – who’ve looked good and are fun to watch – and Greece. Sweden will finish last unless super-Larsson has another unbelievable run of form)
    -Spain
    -Greece

7. Ivan

May 24, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Germans or Italians are probably the obvious choices. I’m not sold on Portugal (no CF) or the Netherlands (continue squad unrest and defence looks leaky although not essentially the problem). Both teams on paper aren’t as strong as the Italians, Germans, French or Spain. I’ll be pulling for Spain and will hope Ricardo Quaresma lights it up but my prediction is no fun, its Italy.

8. Pingback: Euro 2008 - Predictions, part one « Brigitte Rozario’s Blog

9. betsy's bolton bum baster

May 24, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Sux being English.

10. steve

May 24, 2008 at 7:22 pm

i bet the germans will win it this year. seeing as were not in it, i can just imagine them winning it rubbing salt into our wounds.