Raul will not take part in this summer’s European Championships after being told of his exclusion from the 23-man Spain squad chosen by coach Luis Aragones.
That means the responsibility of scoring goals will fall on the shoulders of Liverpool’s Fernando Torres, Valencia’s David Villa and Real Zaragoza’s Sergio Garcia, all of whom have the talent to terrorise any defence in Austria and Switzerland this summer.
Raul has still played a key role for Real Madrid in recent years though, but maybe it is time for younger, fresher faces to try and win Spain’s first ever major trophy.
The squad certainly has the ability to do so, but will the fact that they so often struggle in big tournaments prove a mental barrier for some of their stars?
Even if they do perform to their potential, heavyweights such as Germany, Italy and Portugal will provide hugely stern competition to lift the trophy at the end of June, in what should be a truly enthralling summer of football entertainment.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: studies
- Man Utd banking on Ten Hag to lift mood at Old Trafford
- Why possession is not the key factor in 2022 Champions League Final
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City
- Ibrahimovic endured sleepless nights to deliver Serie A title for Milan
- Man Utd report revenue increase despite ‘disappointing’ season
- FIFPro sounds alarm over player workloads ahead of Champions League final
- Vote for the 2026 World Cup host cities in North America
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant again
- Liverpool’s Diaz from indigenous community that breeds ‘toughness’