Watching the recent Sky Sports interview with Tom Hicks, the first word that jumped into my mind after listening to the first two minutes was greed. Hicks talks about the poor results Liverpool CEO Rick Parry has achieved with sponsorships, in Asia, the stadium and how the team has fallen behind the other top clubs.
“We’ve got, still, the top brand, I think, in the world of football. We just don’t know how to commercialize it and get the money from it and use it to buy great players. It all goes together,” says Hicks.
Hicks’s focus isn’t just on generating more revenue to buy great players. It’s about making money for him. The new Anfield stadium at Stanley Park will be a large part of that, which is why Hicks is fighting to become the sole owner of Liverpool FC. He sees huge opportunities to increase revenue for the company, both at home and overseas (especially Asia).
After all, Hicks is a businessman with very little knowledge of football. In the interview below, he admits he didn’t know who Jurgen Klinsmann was and had to look his name up on the Internet to learn more. Get used to it. These are the type of tycoons that are becoming the owners of the modern football clubs.
Lastly, watch the video for ths staged scenes near the end where Hicks is wearing Liverpool paraphenalia as well as drinking from a Liverpool mug. His sons sit next to him in the sky box, both of them wearing Liverpool shirts. One of them visibly yawns. How fitting.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season
- Greatest soccer film ever made? Victory deserves a consideration
- Boehly’s Chelsea takeover puts US tycoon in spotlight
- Stade de France gets new pitch for Champions League final
- What next for Chelsea after sale is approved?
- Neymar wants to stay at PSG despite rumours over his future
- Chelsea sale gets green light from UK government
- UK government authorises sale of Chelsea FC