Barcelona are for all intents and purpose done. Their failure to come up with the three points in Huelva virtually made it a two-team race. Both of them will be playing tomorrow.
An injured Samuel Eto’o was partnered with a recovering Lionel Messi, but that was still not enough as former River Plate and Rosario Central star Marco Ruben’s brace put Barcelona’s Liga title hopes on life support.
Eto’o came out of the gate with as he buried a Giovani Dos Santos cross with a great header. The Cameroonian international is showing his grit in the recent weeks as he is bothered with a chronic calf injury. Despite his pain the patchwork side was able to dominate play and Eto’o quickly put the homeside behind the eight-ball. But it would be the visitors that would see themselves behind it later on. Towards the end of the first half, Recreativo’s hard work paid off.
Although they were very patient, they weren’t able to pierce that suspect Barcelona defense. But for at least the final few minutes, they would not have to. In the dying minutes of the first half, Marco Ruben put a header on goal and Víctor Valdés saved it. It was a header that tested the Spanish international, but he was able to handle it.
Then the line judge raised his flag advisign referee Clos Gómez that the ball crossed the line
This result was completely upstaged by the news of Ronaldinho verbally agreeing to a contract with AC Milan. For Barcelona, now their focus will shift condierably to their Champions League semifinal matchup against Manchester United, as much as they will deny it in the upcoming weeks.
Ronaldinho’s departure is the first of many that are expected from the Nou Camp this summer as players like Henry, Zambrotta, Deco, Oleguer, Thuram are among the big names being mentioned in board rooms across Europe.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family