In the past few years, American owners have taken over Manchester United, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Derby County. Now Stan Kroenke may be starting a new trend by being the first American businessman to invest in a Premier League club’s website, Arsenal.com.
The Colorado Rapids owner has purchased a 50% stake in Arsenal Broadband Limited for $45.4 million. Kroenke bought his stake from ITV, which is abandoning its business in football assets.
Sports tycoon Kroenke hasn’t been shy about his intentions to invest in Arsenal. The American currently owns 12% of Arsenal, while Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov and a partner own around 24%. The Arsenal board, meanwhile, has more than a 40% stake in the club.
Kroenke’s investment in Arsenal Broadband Limited is probably more of a power-play than a desire to generate profits with Arsenal.com As of March 29th, Arsenal.com was the fifth most visited football website in the United Kingdom.
The plot at the Emirates Stadium continues to see which foreign investor will eventually take control of the club, which despite the claims from the Arsenal board, is inevitable.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV