Listening to The Guardian’s Football Weekly Podcast, especially contributor Sean Ingle, you’d think that every grown Brit who was a football fan bets on matches week-in, week-out. Obviously that isn’t the case, but how prevalent is betting on matches?
Remarkably, I’ve never once bet on a Premier League match. When I grew up in the United Kingdom, I was too young to bet (I left those Isles when I was fourteen). Arriving in America, I had no opportunity or desire to vote on the top English league I’ve been following religiously for practically 31 of my 38 years of life.
Until recently with the rise of Internet gambling worldwide, the opportunity to bet on matches was there, but I didn’t take the chance. Consider it part naivety and part lack of desire. Now, of course, it’s illegal in the United States to make transactions between online gambling sites and U.S. banks or similar institutions, so my opportunity to bet legally on matches has passed unless the law changes.
Based on my performances in last season’s predictions league, I feel I’d have a pretty good chance of predicting matches. However, my performance this season on EPL Talk’s ‘I Know The Score’ leaves much to be desired.
The question, for you, is have you bet on Premier League matches before? If so, did you do it in person or online, and how well did you do? Click on the ‘Comments’ link to add your thoughts.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Chelsea sale gets green light from UK government
- UK government authorises sale of Chelsea FC
- Where to find AS Roma vs. Feyenoord on US TV
- ‘World’s best’ Alisson: The goalkeeper who transformed Liverpool
- Benzema needs final triumph to make Champions League his own
- Violent clashes in Tirana before the Conference League final
- Klopp named Premier League manager of the year
- Premier League season 2nd most-watched ever in US history
- Euro titles ‘no help’ to Mourinho ahead of Conference League final
- Premier League approve Boehly’s takeover of Chelsea