Connect with us

General

Benitez's Future In Doubt Due to Hicks Admittal

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has today admitted he had talks with Jurgen Klinsmann to take over from Rafa Benitez, which will — to me — almost guarantee Rafa’s departure in the coming weeks.

Reason being is that Benitez now knows 100% that his job was in jeopardy. If Hicks told the press before Benitez about the Klinsmann situation, then I can imagine that Benitez will be furious and will consider quitting the club. Even if the Klinsmann situation was just a back-up in case Benitez didn’t qualify Liverpool for the knock-out stages of the Champions League, what happens if/when Liverpool get knocked out by Inter Milan?

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
10 Comments

10 Comments

1. Maclad

October 18, 2008 at 3:59 pm

does this man no what he is talking about rafa gone at the end of the season !!!!!! liverpool are second only on goal diffrence not a CHELSEA fan my ar-e

2. The Gaffer

January 15, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Dave,

Naah, I wasn’t aiming the criticism at you. It was aimed at Passing By. No worries 🙂

A good resource for what’s on telly is http://www.livesoccertv.com/

3. Dave Morris

January 15, 2008 at 4:10 pm

My apologies, Gaff. I thought the little winky-faced emoticon took the edge off. I certainly did not mean to start an open season on criticism here.

ON A SEPARATE MATTER, I think you included a link to SoccerTV.com in one of your weekly newsletters (and I’ve been there many times since). However, it looks like the owner of that url has sold it on – – do you have another resource for all soccer tv broadcasts that’s as well-organized as SoccerTV.com was?

Personally, I benefit greatly from the work you do here – many thanks.

4. The Gaffer

January 15, 2008 at 6:30 am

Passing By,

I can point you to articles written by the major newspapers that contain spelling mistakes and they get paid significant amounts of money. For me, it’s on a volunteer basis, so quit being so critical.

5. Passing by

January 15, 2008 at 12:14 am

“Even if the Klinsmann situation was just a back-up in case Benitez didn’t quality Liverpool for the knock-out stages”

Shouldn’t quality be qualify? With the other mistake in this post, start either writing when your eyes are awake or not post at all. This post was frankly embarrassing.

6. eplnfl

January 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I say no. Klinsmann, no way, no how, takes on a club job. This a guy who loves So. Cal. and to give it up for Liverpool in February.

Now that I say it can’t happen, book it!

7. DuMien

January 14, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Klinsmann makes all the right decision by going back to Germany rather than England. Nothing beats going back to your native country 🙂

8. Kartik

January 14, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Klinsmann was never going to take a job in Liverpool. No offense but I have followed him for years and unless he was allowed to live in London and commute it was not going to work.

9. Dan

January 14, 2008 at 11:16 am

Are they going to fire the manager and then bail? That’s just what they need.

10. Dave Morris

January 14, 2008 at 9:44 am

“admittal”…? Is this a word in the UK? In the US, we say “admission”.

😉