Six teams have clinched playoff spots: DC United, Chivas USA, Houston, New England, FC Dallas, Red Bull NY
Three teams have been eliminated from all post season consideration: Toronto FC, Real Salt Lake and Columbus
That leaves two spots open between four teams: Colorado, LA Galaxy, Chicago and Kansas City.
Chicago hosts L.A. in the final game of the season with the winner likely making the playoffs and the loser likely out. Add to that drama the specter of two of the biggest signings in league history, David Beckham and Cuahatomac Blanco facing off against each other for the first time and this is sure to be a tension filled weekend.
I’m waiting to see all the playoff scenarios from the league but here is what I can definitely tell everybody:
- A Kansas City win on Saturday versus FC Dallas will clinch the Wizards the seventh spot.
- A Kansas City draw coupled with two Los Angeles wins and a Colorado loss to Real Salt Lake will give Los Angeles the 7th seed, Kansas City the 8th and eliminate Colorado and Chicago.
- Two Galaxy wins clinches a playoff spot, either the 7th or 8th seed
- A Chicago win clinches a playoff spot
- Colorado needs some help, but if they beat Real Salt Lake, and Los Angeles loses Thursday to New York and then defeats Chicago Sunday, the Rapids will clinch a playoff spot.
- Los Angeles can make the playoffs even with a draw versus New York if they beat Chicago, Kansas City wins or draws with FC Dallas and Colorado loses to Real Salt Lake. Chicago and Colorado would then be eliminated and Los Angeles would gain the 8th seed, while Kansas City gains the 7th.
On another note, if Houston defeats Real Salt Lake tonight and Chivas USA this weekend they will win the Western Conference. If Chivas USA can achieve a draw versus Houston they will win the West.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Next Messi’ Bojan learned, suffered in itinerant career
- Finalists Orlando Pirates vow to avoid another Moroccan mauling
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob