Yesterday I was getting ready for the Real Madrid v Betis game on laSexta here in Barcelona, visiting family but futbol takes precedence at certain times, and I was watching the one hour pregame, with interviews and analysis and player profiles, all of the things that I wish I had on golTV at home, loving every minute of it, and then just as the 3 announcers were setting up the table to record their commentaries, one of which was an oil-slick looking Jorge Valdano, the lead muppet announced that due to rights difficulties, the match would not be broadcast that it would only be available on pay per view, laSexta was left in the lerch and couldn´t cover the game. Yes, it really happened that way.
Well, the papers had been writing about it all week, that because of regulations at least one match per round had to be televised on free tv, and this one was the last on the schedule and none previously (even the Barça game) had been shown. Ultimately the decision was in Ramon Calderon´s corner and they pulled the plug on laSexta and Mediapro. Clearly he and the big clubs are siding with Sogecable.
What does this mean for us in the States? I have no idea, but the Mediawar is getting ugly here and while I think it´s early to say if golTV´s package of games will be affected (it may be easier to televise games for all know), here in Spain, even the regulatory body that supposedly governed the interests of the general fan, those that don´t have access to per-per-view, has been effectively neutralized.
Well, just feel lucky, that while I was in the U.S. I could watch all sorts of matches on free and basic cable, dozens even, but here it has been slim pickings.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders on US TV
- Where to find Norwich City vs. Millwall on US TV
- Indian women footballers face uncertain future after FIFA ban
- Napoli on the up after hot start, big transfer deals
- Werner says Leipzig can still ‘annoy’ Bayern despite early season stumbles
- Liverpool clash threatens more misery for Man Utd
- Barcelona looking for ‘patience’ despite spending spree
- Will Mbappe and Neymar flourish together this season for PSG?
- Qatar buses feel the World Cup heat in tournament test
- Scamacca opens West Ham account in Conference League win