Second round qualifiers wrapped up this week and the most eye-catching result was Rosenborg BK putting 7 goals past FC Astana. Rosenborg coast through to the third round on a 10-2 aggregate score. The seven goals came on the strength of a hat-trick from Abdoulrazack Traoré, a brace by Yssouf Kone and further strikes from Steffen Iversen and Marek Sapara. The win sets up a Scandinavian derby against Finland’s Tampere United.
Meanwhile, FK Sarajevo lost the second leg of their tie at home to KRC Genk but progressed thanks to the two away goals they scored in Belgium last week. Sarajevo will now face FC Dynamo Kiev in the third round and have a shot at reaching the group stage.
Red Star Belgrade narrowly progressed to meet Glasgow Rangers in the next round thanks to the away goals rule. They lost to Levadia Tallinn 2 -1 but thanks to the clean sheet they kept at home, they move on to the third round. Red Star’s Igor Burzanovic scored the decisive away goal but Levadia Tallinn’s Konstantin Nahk scored an unforgettable winner by lobbing the keeper from around the half-way line. Deniss Malov scored the opening goal for Tallinn with a nice volley from a corner-kick.
On the back of that poor performance, Red Star have decided to replace coach Boško Djurovski with Milorad Kosanovi? on the eve of the new Serbian season. Kosanovi?, 56, previously coached Crvena Zvezda from December 1997 to June 1999, and has also been in charge of Malta, FK Vojvodina, Chinese club Dalian Shide and the Serbia Under-21s.
Marcus Allbäck scored the decisive goal in extra time as FC København (FC Copenhagen) drew 1-1 at Beitar Jerusalem FC. The draw and away goal ended the Israeli club’s Champions League campaign as København advance with a 2-1 aggregate victory. Former Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Stuttgart player Jesper Grønkjær
broke down the Beitar defence to setup Allback’s winner.
The Czech-Slovak derby saw Slavia squeeze past Žilina on penalty kicks after two scoreless draws. Slavia will now play AFC Ajax, although star midfielderVladimír Šmicer will be suspended for the first leg.
Other results were:
Dinamo Zagreb 3-1 NK Domzale (Zagreb advance 5-2)
Ventspils 0-4 Salzburg (Salzburg advance 7-0)
Besiktas 3-0 Sheriff (Besiktas advance 4-0)
Rangers 1-0 Zeta (Rangers advance 3-0)
Pyunik 1-2 Shakhtar Donetsk (Shaktar advance 4-1)
Debrecen 0-0 Elfsborg (Elfsborg advance 1-0)
Tampere 1-0 Levski (Tampere advance 2-0)
Hafnarfjördur 1-1 BATE (BATE advance 4-2)
Here’s the complete list of third-round qualifying matchups:
Lazio v Dinamo Bucuresti
Valencia v Elfsborg
Rangers v Crvena Zvezda
Benfica v København
Sevilla v AEK
Toulouse v Liverpool
Sarajevo v Dynamo Kyiv
Fenerbahçe v Anderlecht
Sparta v Arsenal
Zürich v Besiktas
BATE v Steaua
Tampere v Rosenborg
Spartak Moskva v Celtic
Werder Bremen v Dinamo Zagreb
Salzburg v Shakhtar
Ajax v Slavia
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family