Studs! (Ebury Press) is an entertaining retro footie annual using stories, interviews and pictures taken directly from Shoot! Magazine from the 60s, 70s & 80s. Britain’s top footballers of the moment, often accompanied by the loving missus, are shown in all their garish glory (kind of living testament to mad and bad football haircuts) whether it be while mowing the lawn, practising their golf swings, decorating the kitchen or celebrating big wins in the communal team bath. We sometimes even get to see them on the pitch looking podgy in simple pre-sponsor traditional kits. Plenty of familiar faces as you’ve never seen them before (or at least not since you were a nipper).
Featuring prominently in the book is the ‘focus on’ section where we learn about players’ favourite food, team they supported as a boy, biggest drag in the game, person in the world they’d most like to meet etc.
Sam Allardyce’s miscellaneous dislikes include the taxman (surprising, eh?), Alan Hansen’s professional ambition was to have a long Scottish international career, Joe Royle’s best country visited is Israel & Stan Bowles’ chosen occupation other than pro footballer would have been bookmaker. George Best’s favourite singer was Lulu and Jack Charlton lists guns amongst his miscellaneous likes. Brian Little wants to meet the Queen. Imaginative stuff!
Other highlights include Bobby Moore’s take on that ghastly nightmare in Bogota (‘I managed to keep cheerful thanks to FA officials on-the-spot, who stayed with me even while I was under house arrest’), a You Are The Ref column compiled by Stan Lover, some Straight Shooting from Jimmy Greaves in which he reveals he always put his left boot on first, not out of superstition but because it took him a little longer to get comfortable. Plus, there is a showbiz stars segment – did you realise Lovelace Watkins was a Man City fan? Heard of the Goal Girl ’70 Contest? Read how the judges got the rare chance to see dolly birds in soccer kit.
As it says on the cover, brace yourself for the most exciting football event since 1966!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns
- Nottingham Forest need penalties to reach playoff final
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga