I listened to Bob Bradley’s news conference with reporters this morning (the actual event was held yesterday afternoon) and have some thoughts regarding what the US National Team Coach said during the press event.
First off having listened to about a dozen of the same types of events when Bruce Arena was the coach, I think Bradley has a deeper understanding and knowledge of the players in his player pool, particularly the ones playing in Europe. However that does not automatically mean Bradley’s player selection will be better than Arena’s but it does indicate a willingness to allow young players who move abroad the opportunity to play with the senior national team earlier in their career.
Some key points Coach Bradley made:
- Both Tim Howard and Kasey Keller will not be called to the Copa America roster. In addition third Goalkeeper Brad Guzan will remain with Chivas USA during the Gold Cup unless an emergency occurs. He has been named to the 23 man roster by the USA but may not participate in the tournament.
- Up to twelve players on the Gold Cup roster will be named to the Copa America roster.
- Their will be no training camp for Copa America. Should the US play in the final match of the Gold Cup June 24th in Chicago, the hold over for Copa will be joined by the new players and will fly to Caracas the next day.
- Landon Donovan’s public statement that he wants to skip Copa America doesn’t seem to be sitting well with Bradley. The Coach stated that he has talked to Donovan about this and would like him to play in both tournaments.
- While we are in the beginning of a four year cycle the Coach stated bringing in veterans who are unlikely to be around in 2010 like Frankie Hedjuk and Steve Ralston is important from a leadership standpoint.
- Bradley indicated his son, Michael Bradley will be released to go to the Youth World Cup after the Gold Cup.
- Bradley seemed impressed by Jay DeMerit’s work ethic and also mentioned that Michael Parkhurt’s call up has nothing to do with the interest shown by the Ireland National Team in capping him.
- In response to a question from Paul Gardner, Bradley stated he isn’t married to the 4-4-2 formation, contrary to many published reports. The USA consistently played a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 during the tenure of Bruce Arena.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks