Connect with us

Bob Bradley

Bradley to be Named Permanent Head Coach

This is my first blog posting here. I want to thank Kartik for giving me the opportunity to contribute to this excellent website. I have learned through a source at US Soccer that Bob Bradley will be given the permanent head coaching job of the senior national team on Thursday. This will allow Bradley to shape his roster in a more creative way for the summer friendlies although I must say I am somewhat disappointed that we didn’t make a run at some of the potential available international managers. My understanding is that Sunil Gulati, the President of the USSF wanted to take a look around the world at candidates but that much of the USSF Executive Committee just wanted to move forward with Bradley as the coach. I will have more as it becomes available.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
7 Comments

7 Comments

1. football detective

May 15, 2007 at 7:30 pm

This only means that Bradley is the coach through this year.

It doesn’t mean that he won’t be replaced next year.

2. tyduffy

May 15, 2007 at 4:57 pm

He’s not the sexiest pick in the world, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt. The biggest impediment to them winning is still the overall talent level, rather than not having a big European name at the helm.

3. Rafa in LA

May 15, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Bradley earned the job and unlike Arena has already deepened the player pool by calling up guys like Feilhaber, DeMerit and Simek playing in Europe. I’m glad they made this official and he can coach without the burden of being let go at any point.

4. Josiah of Footy Fame

May 15, 2007 at 2:06 pm

I cannot believe this. US Soccer will never step forward on the international stage if we keep promoting MLS coaches and guys who are connected to the U VA and DC United.

5. Anonymous

May 15, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Hey Zizzou,

We agree on Cunningham. Like his current coach, Kreis I don’t know how many goals you must score in the domestic league with bad teams (Columbus, Colorado and Salt Lake for JC) to get a call up. Cunningham has played nine times for the US National Team whereas a clown like Conor Casey has 22 caps. That is a total disgrace, a sad legacy of the Arena era. Zizzou you are correct…..we must hope Bradley does it differently.

Vive La Francias!

6. Zizou06

May 15, 2007 at 11:35 am

I don’t think this is the greatest move.

Kartik and I talked about it the other day, and I think that it would be in the best interest of the US National Team if they hired a foreign coach.

As we saw during the Bruce Arena Era, he played players based on if they played for him before (U. or VIrginia and D.C. United). Arena’s judgement was clouded by this fact.

I hope this isn’t the case with Bradley. I hope that he doesn’t pick players based on his personal relationship with them while, on the other hand, rejecting players with raw talent for the game. I think that Jeff Cunningham is an example of a player that has been totally ignored by the National Team.

That is why I think Klinsman would be a perfect manager for the US National Team. He has no personal ties most of the players. This is the type of manager we need for the national team. But, as we know, that isn’t going to happen.

But, honestly, I don’t know much about Bradley, so I can’t say much right now.

But, with the case for Arena, I will admit, he did get us on the map. But I think his reluctancy to let new players develop ended up being our downfall recently.

7. Kartik

May 15, 2007 at 9:45 am

Unreal. Thanks for the news. I assumed it was a matter of time, but still wonder if the geniuses at USSF HQ in Chicago actually conducted a proper “search” of any kind.