Yet, one block away, the buildings that house GolTV comprise two nondescript structures. One is a free-standing edifice that’s so unassuming from the outside that it’s easy to drive past without noticing. The building’s blue color is warm and soothing, though, and consistent with the look and feel of the network.
The offices of GolTV, meanwhile, are on the fourth floor of a generic office building that’s separated from the studios by a strip plaza. It’s hardly the surroundings that I imagined, but it made me realize how the professionalism and GolTV brand makes the 24 hour soccer network appear much larger than what the buildings portray.
Buildings aside, what matters most about GolTV is the product on the screen and how it’s presented, which I believe is exceptional and continues to improve. More on that later.
Inside the GolTV offices, I was impressed by the TV monitors inside every office and almost every cube on the floor. The day I arrived, everyone was watching the Chelsea against Valencia match from the Champions League. How refreshing it must be to work in a company where watching soccer on TV is encouraged!
After a tour of the GolTV offices and the impressive conference room (see the photo slideshow here of the entire behind-the-scenes tour), we headed over to the GolTV studio. Inside, it was a rudimentary building but filled with a team of hard-working people. After a brief tour, we stepped on to the set and chatted with the team of the “American Soccer” TV show (Phil Schoen, Ray Hudson, Lindsey Dean and Kelly O’Donnell).
As the cameramen made their preparations, the team of “American Soccer” traded notes, jokes and verified pronunciations as well as running through the schedule of the show to ensure that everything was prepared before the cameras started rolling.
We then had the pleasure of sitting in the studio and watching the “American Soccer” TV show unfold. Aired on Wednesday’s at 8pm ET, the show is by far the best original soccer programming in the States packed with 60 minutes of news, highlights, analysis and passion.
Sitting back and watching the show being taped, I could see first-hand the fantastic chemistry and knowledge of the game that Schoen, Hudson, Dean and O’Donnell possess. Each of them are scholars of the game, and are able to communicate that knowledge with confidence, energy and, at times, humor.
Between takes, the running joke throughout this episode was the tie selection worn by the hosts. While the team works well together on-screen, their chemistry off-screen is equally as impressive.
Hudson, the master of the English language and passionate man of the beautiful game, was in his element as he added his observations unscripted throughout the show. In addition to Hudson, the whole team on “American Soccer” had the freedom to adlib throughout the show, which made it feel more natural.
During a break in the show, “American Soccer” and GolTV producer Helberth Ariza graciously invited us into the control room to see the other side of the show where Ariza and his team of four people put together all of the elements to make the show a success. As soon as the cameras rolled, Ariza was in complete control directing his team to roll tape on cue and ensuring that the show was perfected.
Without a doubt, the production value on “American Soccer” is superb. The entire team that works together on the show runs a tight ship. While the outside of the studio may appear unassuming, inside it’s a different picture altogether and it’s very apparent that GolTV has a winning formula in place.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Jesus wants to emulate boyhood hero Henry after sealing Arsenal move
- Manchester City seal swoop for Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips
- Arsenal sign Gabriel Jesus from Man City
- Where to find USWNT vs. Haiti on US TV
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022