I had the rare fortune of watching Sky Sports’s coverage of the Champions League on Tuesday — not one of the matches they showed, but instead the coverage from the Sky Sports studio with presenter Rob McCaffrey on Gillette Soccer Special.
While the concept is sound, the execution of it is far from impressive. McCaffrey, just as David Bobin did recently, produces too many fake emotions as he pretends to get excited about certain developments at key matches. Instead of being himself, he verbally exagerates the excitement with Whooo’s and Ahhhh’s that get annoying extremely quickly.
Alongside McCaffrey in the studio were Paul Merson, Gordon McQueen, Mark McGhee and Matthew Le Tissier — each of them following one of the four Champions League matches from Tuesday via TV monitors that were hidden from view. Whenever any exciting moment happened in one of the matches, the TV camera would zoom in on the football analyst to hear what development had occured.
A perfect example of how the in-studio football analysts are handicapped by what they see was the Lille v Manchester United match. After United had scored their goal, Gordon McQueen couldn’t explain what was happening alongside the bench because all he could see was what the TV showed. If he had been at the stadium in the press box, he could have actually reported what was happening rather than relying on the TV feed.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League
- Orlando Pirates reach CAF Cup final despite shock home defeat
- What is the best soccer game you have watched?
- Pochettino says French title ‘not enough’ but PSG can rebuild