Who would have imagined that the Lille versus Manchester United first leg tie tonight would have been so controversial? To me, it reminded me of the drama of 80s football, and it certainly sets up a remarkable return leg at Old Trafford.
For those of you who didn’t get a chance to see what happened, the action on the pitch is best summed by up the excellent footage from ITV who broadcasted the match in England. During this clip, you also get to see the expert analysis by Robbie Earle and Andy Townsend, two co-commentators we regularly hear on Premiership matches each weekend. Plus you have the post-match interview from Alex Ferguson.
One of the reasons the match reminded me of 80s football (other than the scrappy play on the pitch and the fighting spirit from United) was the crowd trouble in the stands at the Stade Félix Bollaert (pictured above). First there was the inadequate security by the French officials who allegedly allowed United fans with black market tickets into the away end, forcing a crush near the front metal fence which was reminiscent of the beginning of the Hillsborough disaster. See video of what happened here.
Then, after Giggs scored the only goal in the match, the Lille fans became so incensed that they reportedly threw objects on to the pitch.
All eyes are now set on Wednesday fixtures including the appealing Barcelona against Liverpool match, as well as Porto versus Chelsea. And don’t forget about Watford versus Wigan, and Everton against Spurs.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Leicester on US TV
- Where to find Everton vs Crystal Palace on US TV
- ‘Next Messi’ Bojan learned, suffered in itinerant career
- Finalists Orlando Pirates vow to avoid another Moroccan mauling
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash