England’s first-half performance against Sweden yesterday was their best 45 minutes for as long as I can remember. But, as so often happens in football, it was a game of two halves.
During the second half, England’s defense fell apart — especially for Sweden’s comical second goal. But the biggest problem for me is their right wing. Historically, the weakest spot in an England team has always been the left side, but with Ashley and Joe Cole, England finally have their answer.
Watching yesterday’s match, most of the pressure from England came down the left wing or through the middle. The right, other than crosses floated in by Beckham, was practically non-existent.
The answer is Aaron Lennon, who has the speed to attack down the right flank and give England width. Sven needs to find a way to get Lennon in the starting line-up, otherwise England will probably go home after the second round (or, more likely, the quarter finals — especially if they meet the Netherlands, as I predict).
The problem for Sven is where to put Beckham. Thoughts?
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more