Connect with us

World Cup

For Those About To Skip Work, We Salute You

Tried listening to the BBC Five Live live broadcast from work a few minutes ago to listen to the Germany v Costa Rica match, but alas — for those souls outside of the UK, like me — the Beeb doesn’t have rights to broadcast the match overseas.

Probably the worst place in the world to follow the World Cup is the East Coast of America. The weekday matches are on at 9am, Noon and 3pm ET… right through our workday. At least the people on the west coast of America can catch the 6am PT match before heading to their 9-5 job.

I’m curious. How are you watching the World Cup? Are you playing the “don’t talk to anyone and don’t log on to the Internet” game where you’ll watch the matches on tape tonight? Have you found a boss that’s willing to let you watch it? Do tell. I and the rest of the readers would be interested in hearing from you.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
6 Comments

6 Comments

1. JC

June 10, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Gaffer:

Check out

The German feed is $20 for 30 days and will give you every single game, albeit in German (still better the ESPN announers who use hockey terms like “penalty” and “back of the net”).

As far as I can tell, it’s the only way to stream the games on your computer in the US, unless you’ve got ESPN360, which is only available to limited ISPs.

For those wondering, once you buy the German feed, you choose the ZDF broadcast to get the games.

So to answer your question, I’ve been streaming them on my pc at work.

2. Kyle

June 10, 2006 at 10:17 am

Don’t talk to anyone, and don’t log into the Internet. Luckily for me, my wife is a football fan too, so she tapes the matches for us to watch in the evening.

As a team France supporter and French-speaking Canadian, I’m especially lucky in that I can follow the match broadcasts on French radio via the Internet. I quite enjoyed following France’s last friendly against China that way.

Though I doubt I’ll “cheat” like this with any of the World Cup matches. It’s just so much better watching them than just listening.

3. iam_hannah

June 9, 2006 at 8:47 pm

I took mornings off of work during the group stage. I’m recordeing every game on my DVR.

4. NJ

June 9, 2006 at 2:00 pm

I snuck out to work in the middle of the day to catch the final 30+ minutes of the Costa Rica Germany match and I am recording the Poland match this afternoon. I’m still looking for a way to get around the BBC’s location issue, and if I can’t I will record what I can and whatever I can’t record I will stay up with on Soccernet.com

5. Anonymous

June 9, 2006 at 12:04 pm

You’re wrong – this is the worst place in the world to watch, ridiculously late hours and the volume on the tv turned down to zero. Talksport 15 sec delayed commentary worked for 5 mins before inevitable announcement of rights issues preventing any more, then INCREDIBLY they started re-playing bits of the 2005 CL Final just to make my day!

6. TheScout

June 9, 2006 at 11:48 am

I have to play the “don’t talk to anyone and don’t log on to the Internet” game until my vacation kicks in on the 26th of June. I also have to go out of town for my brother’s wedding on the 24th but luckily my parents have satellite TV so I’ll be able to keep up with things.