It was interesting to watch Everton maul Aston Villa 4-1 last Saturday, not just because of the goalfest, but for other reasons too.
Everton were playing a very English style of soccer, with mostly British players, playing in a quintessential old English-style stadium. In 2006, this is indeed a rarity in the Premiership.
The physical nature of play was evident with both of Everton’s first two goals being the result of a long ball headed down by James Beattie for first McFadden and then Cahill to score. Leon Osman and James Beattie had brilliant games. And Arteta was just superb.
The physical nature of the match ensured that were plenty of bandages and injuries during the 90 minutes — again, adding more of an English flavor to the game.
And who cannot love the church nestled in the corner of the Goodison Park ground?
Everton face Liverpool this Saturday in the Merseyside derby at Anfield. The game promises to be one of the most exciting Liverpool derbies in years with both teams currently on fire. The match will be shown live on Fox Soccer Channel starting at 7:30am EST.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season