Madrid (AFP) – Sevilla remained on course for a third consecutive Europa League title as Kevin Gameiro struck twice to down Shakhtar Donetsk 3-1 and progress to a final meeting with Liverpool 5-3 on aggregate on Thursday.
The Andalusians have won the competition four times in the last 10 years and can secure their place in next season’s Champions League with victory over Jurgen Klopp’s men in Basel on May 18.
Already holding the cushion of two away goals from the first leg last week, Gameiro gave Sevilla the perfect start when he fired into the far corner after just nine minutes.
Former Arsenal striker Eduardo briefly gave the Ukrainians hope when he levelled on the night with a calm finish a minute before half-time.
However, Sevilla quickly reasserted their stranglehold on the tie with a fine team goal finished off by Gameiro two minutes into the second-half for his 28th goal of the season.
Brazilian right-back Mariano handed Sevilla a two-goal advantage they never looked like relinquishing when he smashed home a stunning third just before the hour mark from outside the box.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season