Swiss probe PSG’s Al-Khelaifi and ex-FIFA executive over corruption


Geneva (AFP) – Switzerland said Thursday it has opened a criminal corruption probe targeting the head of Paris Saint-Germain football club and BEIN media, Nasser Al-Khelaifi, and disgraced former FIFA executive Jerome Valcke.

The allegations against the powerful Qatari sports executive Al-Khelaifi and Valcke, who was Sepp Blatter’s long-serving right-hand man at FIFA, relate to the sale of media rights for upcoming World Cups. 

A statement from the Swiss attorney general’s office (OAG) said the probe which opened in March centres on offences ranging from bribery, fraud, criminal mismanagement and forgery of a document. 

The OAG indicated that Al-Khelaifi was under suspicion only for actions taken as the head of the sports media group BEIN, which operates on five continents. 

Famed French football club PSG, which grabbed headlines in September for its record signing of Brazilian superstar Neymar, is not implicated in the investigation. 

French authorities said in a separate statement that they had raided BEIN’s Paris offices following a Swiss request for cooperation.

The OAG said there was a third suspect in the case but identified him only as “a businessman in the sports rights sector”.

Prosecutors said they had evidence indicating that Valcke “accepted undue advantages” from the businessman “in connection with the award of media rights for certain countries at the FIFA World Cups in 2018, 2022, 2026 and 2030”.

The Swiss OAG also alleged that Valcke had illegal dealings with “Nasser Al-Khelaifi in connection with the award of media rights for certain countries at the FIFA World Cups in 2026 and 2030”. 

The 2018 and 2022 World Cup will be played in Russia and Qatar respectively, while the 2026 and 2030 tournaments have not yet been awarded. 

– Questioned in Geneva –

Valcke, a French national who also holds South African citizenship, was sacked from his post as FIFA’s secretary general last year amid the corruption scandal that brought world football’s governing body to its knees. 

He became the subject of a separate Swiss corruption probe in March 2016 over criminal mismanagement during his FIFA tenure.

The previously disclosed allegations triggered his dismissal from FIFA and a 10-year ban from football. 

Valcke was in Switzerland this week arguing an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, where he was trying to overturn the ban.

He was interviewed “as a suspect” by representatives of the Swiss attorney general on Thursday, the OAG statement said. 

Pages 1 2

Leave a Reply