Costa stars as Chelsea extend lead, Arsenal go second

London (AFP) – Diego Costa marked his return to Chelsea duty by scoring the opening goal in a 2-0 victory over Hull on Sunday that saw the Premier League leaders go eight points clear after Arsenal went second by coming through late penalty drama.

Brazil-born Spain forward Costa, who on Sunday took his Chelsea tally for the season to 15 goals, missed last weekend’s 3-0 win at Leicester City due to a back complaint.

But Costa, the Blues’ leading scorer this term, was reported to have had a training-ground row with fitness coach Julio Tous, amid speculation he had been the subject of a mega-money offer from Chinese club Tianjin Quanjian.

Following a sickening clash of heads between Chelsea’s Gary Cahill and Hull’s Ryan Mason, Costa struck in the seventh minute of first-half stoppage-time when he turned in Victor Moses’s cross.

Hull, belying their position of second-bottom in the table, pushed Chelsea hard and might have had a penalty before Cahill sealed victory for the hosts nine minutes from time at Stamford Bridge when he ran on unchallenged to head in Cesc Fabregas’s free-kick. 

Earlier in London, 10-man Arsenal beat Burnley 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium in a match where both sides scored penalties in stoppage-time.

Shkodran Mustafi’s first Arsenal goal put the home side 1-0 up in the 59th minute.

That was still the score when, in the third of seven minutes of time added on, Burnley’s Ashley Barnes was fouled inside the area by Francis Coquelin and referee Jon Moss awarded a penalty.

Andre Gray, a childhood Arsenal fan, scored from the ensuing spot-kick but there was more drama to come.

With virtually the last attack of the game, Arsenal’s Laurent Koscielny was caught by Ben Mee’s high foot as he attempted to head in and Moss once more pointed to the spot. 

Alexis Sanchez, showing remarkable nerve, chipped a penalty down the middle to give the Gunners three valuable points.

By that stage Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had been sent off after his furious reaction to Burnley’s penalty.

– ‘Unbelievable fight’ –

Arsenal had to play the final 25 minutes down to 10 men after midfielder Granit Xhaka was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Steven Defour.

“We finally got the win but of course it was very difficult for us,” Wenger told the BBC. “We couldn’t get the second goal, we played with 10 men and they (Burnley) played well as well.

Pages 1 2

Leave a Reply