Raid on FIFA amid new revelations on Blatter payments

Blatter’s lawyer, Richard Cullen, said in a statement: “We look forward to showing FIFA that Mr. Blatter’s compensation payments were proper, fair and in line with the heads of major professional sports leagues around the world.”

FIFA has been battling to redeem its name ever since a raid on a Zurich hotel last year to arrest seven FIFA officials at the centre of a US investigation.

About 40 individuals and two companies now face charges in the United States over more than $200 million in bribes paid for television and marketing contracts.

Separately, Swiss police have been investigating FIFA’s management and the award of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and 2022 event to Qatar. .

– Newspaper claims –

Infantino became president in February and vowed to lead world football into a new era of “transparency” and “honesty”.

But he already faces scrutiny. FIFA on Friday denied German media reports that a formal investigation had been launched into the new president.

Die Welt newspaper said Infantino had improperly ordered the destruction of the minutes of a FIFA executive committee meeting held at last month’s congress in Mexico City.  

FIFA spokeswoman Delia Fischer said the allegations were baseless. 

“The email exchange that makes mention of the deletion of audio files refers to a copy of the original audio file of the meeting that was improperly stored on a local drive,” she said.  

“This mention does not refer to the officially archived audio file. That file exists and is properly saved at FIFA.”

A spokesman for the ethics committee’s investigatory arm, Roman Geiser, told AFP that “there are no formal proceedings going on against Mr. Infantino”.

FIFA officials have not discounted however that there is a possibility of an official inquiry.

Pages 1 2

Leave a Reply