Five years ago on Wednesday, FIFA’s executive committee chose Russia to host the 2018 World Cup and Qatar for 2022 in one of the most controversial votes in sporting history. Sixteen of the 24 executive members have been suspended, arrested for bribery, or banned. Others have faced questions about their record.
Here is what happened to the 24 men who took part in the December 2, 2010 vote:
FIFA President Sepp Blatter. The 79-year-old Swiss official, who led FIFA from 1999, is suspended while Swiss authorities investigate criminal mismanagement at soccer’s world body including payments to Michel Platini and banned member Jack Warner. He said recently the stress had nearly killed him.
Senior vice president Julio Grondona was a FIFA executive member until his death in 2014 at the age of 82 having been in repeated controversy. FIFA said the Argentine football baron authorized a $10 million payment made by South Africa to Caribbean countries that US authorities believe was a bribe to secure the 2010 World Cup. Recordings released this year linked him to alleged match-fixing.
Vice-president Michel Platini. The former French soccer legend had been favorite to take over as president in a February election. But the UEFA leader, 60, is also suspended because of the Swiss investigation. He says the FIFA ethics watchdog wants him suspended for life.
Vice president Issa Hayatou. Now FIFA’s acting president, the longtime Confederation of African Football chief once challenged Blatter for the FIFA presidency but became an ally. In 2011, the IOC reprimanded Hayatou, now 69, over payments he received from ISL, a marketing company that collapsed in 2001.
Vice president Chung Mong-Joon. The Hyundai billionaire left the FIFA executive after the 2010 vote. A FIFA critic, he declared himself a candidate for the presidency but was banned for six years in October over irregularities in South Korea’s bid for the 2022 World Cup. Chung said it was a plot to prevent him from standing.
CHARGED OVER BRIBES
Vice president Jack Warner. The former Trinidad and Tobago businessman, politician and North-Central American football president is at the center of a US inquiry into more than $150 million of bribes for contracts. He was banned from soccer for life in September and could soon be extradited to the United States.