Barcelona still hoping Rafinha injury will allow them to register Turan or Vidal

arda-turan-barcelona

Madrid (AFP) – Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has said the European champions will do everything in their power to try and register one of Arda Turan or Aleix Vidal before January. Both players were signed by the Catalan giants in the summer, but at the moment can’t feature until the new year.

Barca were handed a one-year ban on registering new players, effective from January this year, after breaking FIFA rules on the signing of foreign players under the age of 16. The club hope to take advantage of a legal loophole in the Spanish Football Federation’s (RFEF) rules that allows a new player to be registered in the case of another squad member suffering a serious injury forcing them out of action for five months or more.

SEE MORE: Catalan independence could see Barcelona leave La Liga.

Brazilian midfielder Rafinha suffered cruciate ligament damage in Barca’s 1-1 draw at Roma last week. The 22-year-old underwent surgery on Tuesday with Barca confirming he will miss at least the next six months.

“We know the club will always be looking for the best option and look for all the possibilities that could benefit us,” the coach said on Tuesday.

FIFA confirmed that both Barca and the RFEF have contacted them over the matter.

SEE MORE: Madrid’s Navas on verge of breaking 40-year-old record.

“We can confirm that we have been contacted by the club and the RFEF. As the matter is currently under analysis, please understand we cannot comment further,” a FIFA spokesperson said when contacted by AFP on Tuesday.

Luis Enrique’s latest stance is in stark contrast to his comments last weekend that FIFA had already rejected such a proposal from the club.

Leave a Reply