MON, 3PM ET
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

talkSPORT and TuneIn Brings European Soccer to US Radio

talksport 600x600 talkSPORT and TuneIn Brings European Soccer to US Radio

Listening to European soccer is to be made even easier this season with the renewal of radio services in the United States for Premier League and Bundesliga broadcasting rights.

talkSPORT, the world’s largest sports radio station, has been given the rights to broadcast coverage of all 380 Premier League fixtures in the 2014/15 season, broadcasting across 25 countries including the US and UK. The games shall be broadcast in 9 languages, including English and Spanish.

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Scudamore spoke of the deal, saying: “talkSPORT has for many years produced high quality radio commentary of Barclays Premier League matches in the UK, and successfully extended this to an international audience when they became our first global audio licensee two seasons ago.”

“We are extremely pleased that we will continue this partnership and look forward to working with them as they make Barclays Premier League radio commentary available in more languages and to more countries around the world.”

The deal means talkSPORT will be the host of Premier League radio across the US and the UK for the next three seasons. talkSPORT representative Scott Taunton said “Today’s announcement means we can extend talkSPORT into even more markets, as well as creating new opportunities for advertisers and sponsors. I’m pleased that talkSPORT’s ever growing international audience will now be able to look forward to listening to our world class live coverage of the Barclays Premier League for a further three seasons.”

TuneIn radio app will be carrying radio coverage of the Barclays Premier League, using their app to allow users to tune in to talkSPORT radio online and on the go. TuneIn is an ever growing company that is the most popular way to listen to thousands of radio stations from across the globe. Their dedicated talkSPORT channel gives ease of access to US listeners, which shall provide free coverage available in English, Spanish and Mandarin to all TuneIn users. Live coverage is complemented by news and player interviews via the app in their aim to bring a quality radio experience.

Finally, TuneIn has also struck a deal with the Bundesliga and SPORT1.fm to bring live Bundesliga coverage to US users in both English and German. An official Bundesliga channel will be available alongside SPORT1.fm’s coverage of the German top tier, giving ease of access to even more European soccer. Every single Bundesliga game will be broadcasted via the app, giving the user a vast array of choice when listening in. Free and available across the globe, TuneIn is bringing the radio experience back to soccer with a new and efficient service.

6 Responses to talkSPORT and TuneIn Brings European Soccer to US Radio

1. Jimmy says:

I have been using TuneIn for EPL radio calls for 2 seasons now. Very happy to hear it. Great coverage talkSport provides for streaming radio.

2. christian says:

talkSport is an incredible thing for us football fans. Before NBC got the Premier League there were mornings I would have to come into the office for a few hours and talkSport was there for me so I didn’t miss a second of a match.

Last season I had to make a road trip the weekend that Chelsea beat Liverpool at Anfield and had talkSport there to give me a glimpse back into the title race.

We really are lucky to have them and NBC covering the league we love.

PS, they’ll read your tweets during the match. Pretty cool to have the announcer describing the game and then say, Christian from New York City is nervous about this match. (I’m nervous about every match to be fair)

3. Leafsfan1967 says:

Talksport is serving soccer fans well. I still think that the BBC’s radio commentators are, on the whole a bit better.

One drawback of Talksport is that I get the impression that their commentators are calling games off monitors in a studio somewhere. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s a lack of immediacy at times.

4. Brian says:

I wish there was a similar option for Champions League and Europa League matches. Is there one for the US?

• James says:

Only know from my club, but the local UK radio (BBC Humberside) had no restriction on the Europa League matches for international listeners, so I could get them direct on TuneIn

5. EPLNFL says:

I am an avid listener not only of EPL matches but of the regular programming. Some of the programming is now directed to the audience on the US who will be listening on line in the early hours of the morning UK time. I believe our own Karitk has been a guest.

While I greatly enjoy TalkSport I do worry it has taken something away for the development of the US soccer media. For soccer news is TalkSport taking away listening to US media sources that cover soccer?I must admit my listening to other US soccer media has been cut back due to my listening of TalkSport. In the long run does it help the sport in the US grow.