MON, 4PM ET
BRI
THURS, 3:45PM ET
VER
LAZ

Highs and Lows of Soccer Viewing Experience, Aug. 23-25

beinsport 2 year bug Highs and Lows of Soccer Viewing Experience, Aug. 23 25

Hardcore soccer fans consume a lot of the sport. So much so that many of us can identify an announcer or co-commentator by hearing just a few of his words. It’s almost as if we feel we know the person considering the vast number of hours we spend listening to the talent over the days, months and years.

It’s not surprising then that many of us have a particular interest in the quality and quantity of soccer coverage available to us online and on television. As a result, here’s my continuing weekly column that looks at some of the highs and lows of soccer coverage from the weekend.

Highs

1. NBC Sports Group raises the bar once again

NBC Sport Group’s decision last season to broadcast studio shows from the stadiums of select Premier League games was a bonus. But on Monday night, as we saw in the Manchester City-Liverpool game, the network raised the bar once again by placing more of an emphasis on its UK studio team as it switched back-and-forth from the UK crew (featuring Matt Smith, Lee Dixon and Tim Howard) to the US studio crew (Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe). The transatlantic synergy and analysis from both teams was smooth, and allowed viewers to hear an array of different opinions and insight.

On top of that, it gave us a good introduction to Matt Smith, as the studio host of the UK crew. Presumably Gary Lineker won’t be available to do as many studio appearances this season, and Smith is more than adequate. As we saw Sunday, Lineker will be on Premier League Goal Zone and other shows, so we’re not missing his wisdom.

The fact that NBC Sports has a strong studio presence in the UK, which works seamlessly with the US studio team, is another sign of how NBC has raised the bar and elevated the coverage. The on-site presence at UK stadiums is a quantum leap forward for soccer coverage on US television. FOX Sports has a studio team on-site in the UK, but it’s typically only for the finals of the UEFA Champions League or FA Cup.

Just when we thought NBC was years ahead of FOX Sports’ soccer coverage, NBC Sports Group has left FOX in the dust, yet again.

2. The return of La Liga and Ray Hudson

Soccer fans either love or hate Ray Hudson as a co-commentator. Personally, I’m a big fan. And Saturday was a great example of this.

In a very eventful match between Malaga and Athletic, here’s Hudson’s call seconds after a controversial incident in the game: “[It was] a clear, blatant penalty that a blind man, on a galloping horse, in a thick Scottish fog can see.”

That’s what Hudson does best. He brings a smile to your face and puts the beautiful game into a language all his own.

3. DishWorld

I launched my DishWorld app over the weekend to watch a few La Liga games, and the quality of the stream as well as the ease-of-use of the app simply makes it the best online streaming experience for soccer fans. I’ve never once had an issue with it. It works perfectly every time. And it’s legal.

Hopefully in the future more content will be available outside of La Liga, Serie A, League Cup, Championship, Ligue Un and other leagues/tournaments.

4. NBCSN’s tactical cam

The inclusion of NBC’s tactical cam for the Manchester City-Liverpool game on NBC Sports Live Extra was a great new addition. With it, you’re able to see the entire playing field, so you can see what’s happening off-screen (from the main TV camera). However, the tactical cam would be far more powerful if the audio feed from the live commentary was integrated into the tactical cam view. By watching the tactical cam, I can only take a few minutes of it before I get bored because I feel I’m missing out on the audio commentary and the crowd noise. If the tactical cam can add the audio feed, consider me sold.

Lows

1. Don’t keep reminding us beIN

One annoying aspect of watching beIN SPORTS over the weekend was the 2nd anniversary bug placed in bottom corner of the screen (see screengrab at the top of the page). The graphic stayed on throughout the coverage of all of the games I watched on the network over the weekend. Was it necessary? Do we care that beIN SPORTS is two years old? What value does it add? No, no and none!

13 Responses to Highs and Lows of Soccer Viewing Experience, Aug. 23-25

1. Chris in Dallas says:

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I find Ray Hudson to be completely unlistenable.

• Calderon says:

He’s terrible. Most of his fans are Barcelona fans.
      He has a serious hard on for everything they do ranging from a nice touch to a good through ball. For some reason everything a Barcelona player does is “Magisterial”.

• San Fransiscan says:

Trust me when I say, you’re in the majority.

• Rob says:

I’m on your side too

• scrumper says:

He’s very passionate which is good, however, he overdoes the colorful descriptions. I imagine he flicks through Readers Digest and comes up with the sayings.

2. Cantona says:

NBC just multiplied the authenticity meter with the UK studio crew. Frat job, Howard was good here too.. Million times better than on the mic. Great Job NBC, but how about giving Arlo a weekend off? Give Steve Bower a shot.

Another high goes to Fox… Yes Fox.. For their removal of the ticker for live matches.. It looks like someone made a decision to remove it on love matches. The pre-game, that’s another story.

Your Number 2 is a LOW for me. La Liga would gain an increase in 50% in its viewership if they got rid of Hudson and Schoen. Their mic’s are too loud and they SOUND like they are in a 3×5 room in Miami. No authenticity at all from Bein here. I will not watch any broadcast with these guys commentating, it makes the game unwatchable. I’m hoping Terry Baddoo makes some dramatic changes this season.

Cantona—

3. Efrain says:

I like Ray and think he is knowledgeable and adds levity to the commentating. He uses “Magisterial” and other phrases with other teams, not just Barcelona. Does not depend on the team, depends on the goal or fancy playing that a player does for Ray to use his special phrases.

• Bergkamp_10 says:

Right mate. Ray is awesome. Bring so much passion and energy. I just wish he would stop dwelling on and on with the same play when another great one is happening right in front of him. Otherwise, I could listen to Ray all day.

4. Rob says:

Some really good points Chris, NBC really have it figured out. I do however have one problem with Arlo, especially in the first 5 minutes, he says all the things that need to be said before the kick off not during the action. He talks about an individual player/manager/interview for far too long while the game is going on. He ends up chatting with his co commentators way too much instead of the audience. If he could stop doing that he would be great.

5. Jeff says:

It might just be a personal preference but I find the tactical cam more useful to watch following a certain play/goal has happened rather than for the full 90mins. That way I am able to see the action on the TV broadcast then go back to the tactical cam to see how what I just saw happened and/or the reasons behind it occurring.

6. rkujay says:

Anybody but me notice that the Bein network announcer is completely and utterly unfamiliar with football or the names of its teams and players? This guy is to announcing what Curt Menefee is to hosting a footy program. I left them an email to this topic. They emailed me back that they would ‘pass your comment on to the appropriate party’. Completely amateurish of a network trying to make its mark.

7. Harry Cee says:

I need to understand how beIN Sport which has license for so many leagues after 2 years is getting by without a streaming app.