According to the radio program Marcador, which airs on Radio Marca in Spain, Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria has been in contact with Manchester United’s latest signing Marcos Rojo regarding a potential move to Old Trafford.
Reports have been surfacing from South America speculating that the two Argentina internationals share a friendship which extends to each other’s family.
During Friday’s press conference at the Aon Training Complex, Rojo was asked whether he had heard from any of his Argentinian teammates following his £16 million move from Sporting Lisbon to United.
The 24-year-old was coyish in his response: “I have received messages from all of Manchester City’s Argentine players, congratulating me on the move and welcoming me to Manchester, we know each other outside of football and have been in contact.”
It was also revealed that the press conference that Rojo will not be included in United’s lineup this Sunday because the Premier League club has yet to sort out the defender’s work permit.
Angel Di Maria was left out of last night’s lineup for the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup.
Earlier on Friday, reports emanating from Spain suggested that the 26-year-old was left off the team sheet because Real Madrid did not want to risk the winger picking up an injury before any potential move.
Following Los Blancos’ Spanish Super Cup defeat to Atletico Madrid, Carlo Ancelotti was asked why Di Maria was omitted from the squad for such an important match. His response: “It was a technical decision. We didn’t need Di Maria today.”
The manager elected to start the match with Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench; and a starting midfield of Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, Xabi Alonso, James Rodriguez. Kroos was substituted at halftime and was replaced by Ronaldo, while Isco came on in the 65th minute for James.
With a little more than a week remaining before the transfer window closes, Manchester United are apparently leading the chase for the Argentina international’s signature.
PSG, who were once the front-runners for Di Maria services, left the negotiation table and have since to return.
AS Monaco have been rumored to be interested in a loan deal for the talented winger, but word from the Argentine’s camp is that the player has emphatically said “no” to a move to the Ligue 1 club.
It is widely known that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez wants to complete a move for Monaco striker Radamel Falcao before the end of the summer transfer period. The French club have even told potential suitors that the Colombia international is “destined for Madrid”.