Premier League Coverage On NBC Scores Best Opening Weekend Ever
NBC Sports reported today that its coverage of the 2014/15 Premier League season scored the best opening weekend ever on US TV for the world’s most popular sports league.
More than 3.3 million people tuned in to five telecasts on NBC and NBCSN Saturday and Sunday — up 3% from the 3.2 million total for the five games on NBC and NBCSN last year.
Additional milestones from NBC Sports Group’s opening weekend Premier League coverage:
1. Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match: Saturday’s Arsenal v. Crystal Palace match on NBC averaged 885,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match in U.S. history, topping by 12% last year’s opening weekend match on NBC (Swansea City v. Manchester United, 792,000).
2. Highest Opening Weekend Average Viewership: The five games on NBC and NBCSN averaged 545,000 viewers — 23% above the average for five games on opening weekend last year on NBC/NBCSN (443,000 average viewers).
3. Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable: Sunday’s Newcastle v. Manchester City match on NBCSN averaged 514,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match on cable in U.S. history, topping 2012’s opening weekend Arsenal v. Sunderland match on ESPN (8/18/12, 476,000 viewers).
4. Most-Watched Opening Weekend on Cable in U.S. History: For games on cable, the four weekend matches on NBCSN averaged 463,000 viewers – ranking as the most-watched Premier League opening weekend on cable ever in the U.S., and a 30% increase from last year’s 356,000 average viewership for the four games on NBCSN.
5. More than 8.9 Million Minutes Streamed: Fans streamed more than 8.9 million minutes of action – best-ever for a Premier League weekend – via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets, a 56% increase from last year’s 5.7 million minutes.
Meanwhile, here is the list of the top markets for opening weekend Premier League coverage based on the average across all five games on NBC and NBCSN:
1 Wash, DC
4 West Palm Beach
6 Las Vegas
11 New Haven
14 New Orleans