THURS, 1PM ET
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

Premier League Referee Howard Webb Retires From Officiating

Webb 600x374 Premier League Referee Howard Webb Retires From Officiating

In a surprise announcement made today, the Premier League released a statement saying that Howard Webb was officially retiring as a match referee and would be appointed technical director of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

Webb will now be responsible for overseeing the technical direction and standards that govern the on-field performance of PGMOL match officials. He will also take a public-facing role, informing and educating on refereeing matters. He will report to PGMOL General Manager Mike Riley and will join his management team.

Webb’s resignation brings to end a 25-year career in refereeing.

His last act as a match referee was during this summer’s World Cup when he officiated the Round of 16 clash between Brazil and Chile.

The 43-year-old began refereeing in 1989 and progressed through the Northern Counties and Football League to become a Select Group referee in 2003. He has officiated more than 500 Barclays Premier League and Football League matches, as well as every major domestic final.

He has also refereed in eight international tournaments, including two FIFA World Cups and two UEFA European Championships.

In 2010, Webb became the first referee to take charge of the UEFA Champions League final and the FIFA World Cup final in the same year.

Webb addressed his retirement and his new role with the PGMOL in a statement released by the Premier League:

“I am very excited to start this new chapter in my career after a wonderfully rewarding 25 years on the pitch. I have spent over a decade with the best seat in the house for Barclays Premier League matches, been lucky enough to be involved in nine UEFA and FIFA tournaments, and taken charge of the UEFA Champions League and FIFA World Cup finals.”

“Refereeing has given me so much and it’s important that match officials who have had the rewards remain in the game to pass on their knowledge. I also have much more to learn about the business of refereeing and the best place for me to do that is with PGMOL. It’s an incredibly positive working environment and we all have a common goal of improving refereeing.”

“Over the last five years in particular we have made huge strides in terms of our accuracy, fitness and professionalism. The current Select Group are the best referees this country has ever produced and I am thrilled that I not only get the chance to continue working with them but also the opportunity to help develop the next generation of Select Group officials.”

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

About Peter Quinn

Although a college basketball coach for sixteen years on the NCAA Division I and II levels, Peter has been an avid football fan for more than half his life. He considers himself a student of coaching and team management. As well as coaching, Peter has spent time working in Sports Information at various colleges and universities. His articles on European football have been picked up by International Business Times UK and USA Today. Twitter: @CoachPeteQuinn
View all posts by Peter Quinn →

18 Responses to Premier League Referee Howard Webb Retires From Officiating

1. Brian says:

There’s joy at Anfield and they now think they will win the title :-).

In my opinion, Webb never did well in the big games. He became the story more often than not. Of course, officiating in the Premier League has always been a problem for several years now and there aren’t too many officials better than Webb. That’s the sad part.

2. Dean Stell says:

I know he rubs some people the wrong way and he’s probably a little into his own hype, but I admire a guy who stays one step ahead.

He’s probably accomplished all he can as a ref, so he’s moving onto the next phase of his life. Good for him.

3. Christopher Arnfield says:

For the record, Mike Dean awarded United more penalties than Webb. United has had 3 penalties at Anfield since 1891. Mark Clattenburg has awarded Liverpool penalties in 33% of their matches. Liverpool has had more penalties than any other team in the PL with 119. Its a pity that Liverpool supporters, who we all know have plenty of spare time on their hands, do not get their facts right first, but what else would you expect from Self Pity City. Heysell anyone? No I didn’t think so.

• Clampdown says:

An article on Howard Webb retiring leads you to “self pity city” and Heysel?

You are a classless clown.

• Rob says:

The Heysel comment needs to go.

Aside from that, I love this, “Liverpool supporters, who we all know have plenty of spare time on their hands”
      after numerous stats that needed a little time to look into.

4. Clem Aye says:

Great News. in my opinion he is one of the Worse ref.’s ever and a Man U supporter.. I hv never understood how he got the job.

5. Flyvanescence says:

On the surface this seems like bad news for the rags. Then if you think about it, he has authority over all the refs, and they answer to him.

Maybe its bad news for everyone else.

6. Bergkamp_10 says:

Phil Dowd should have retired instead of him. Cannot forgive big Phil for Newcastle debacle, ever.

Good referee Howard Webb. Cannot stop criticizers from criticizing no matter what. Very difficult profession and you cannot get away from attacks by biased fans.

7. Iancransonsknees says:

Well that’s the last of the ‘Class of 92′ to retire then.

8. Justin says:

More room for Mark Geiger!

• Christopher Harris says:

After his officiating of the Man United-Liverpool game the other night, consider me unimpressed with Geiger. I’m not sure if it was the speed of the game that he wasn’t used to or if he just had a bad night, but he made so many awful decisions.

9. Adam says:

I actually thought Webb was one of the better refs in the PL. I am not a ManU supporter either. Sad to see him go.

10. goatslookshifty says:

This just in…Alex Ferguson called him and Howard Webb decided to add on two more years.