SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 3PM ET
VIL
ALM
SUN, 8:30PM ET
LAG
SEA

adam lallana Louis van Gaal Will Talk Privately With Jose Mourinho Regarding Luke Shaw Comments

While addressing the media yesterday afternoon, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho addressed the topic of his club’s early interest in signing Luke Shaw from Southampton.

The 19-year-old defender had been rumored to be a target of the London club, as it is known that his parents are Chelsea supporters.

It was learned on Friday that Mourinho backed away from a potential deal once he felt the cost of signing the England international was spiraling out of control. The Portuguese manager instead elected to sign Filipe Luis from Atletico Madrid in a deal worth nearly £16 million.

“If we pay to a 19-year-old boy what we were being asked for, for Luke Shaw, we are dead,” said Mourinho. “We kill our stability with financial fair play. We kill the stability in our dressing room.”

“Because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid — a good player, a fantastic player — but when you pay that amount of money, the next day the players knock on the club’s door and say, ‘How is it possible I play for this club 200 games and won this and that; how come a 19-year-old comes here and gets more money than I get?’ It would kill immediately our balance and we don’t allow that.”

The manager went on defending his theory on Luke Shaw: “You can say Luis is much less expensive. He played for Brazil, won titles in Spain, won a European competition, played in the Champions League final, this guy is much cheaper than an English young lad.

“And is he good for our average wages, yes he is.

“Sometimes you have to make decisions. I don’t criticize the other clubs for paying it. They can pay what they want. I don’t have any comment about it. But for my club, we can say it would be very negative for us.”

Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal was asked about Mourinho’s comments in a press conference in Denver last night.

The Dutch boss replied: “I don’t have to answer, I don’t think I have to discuss things with the media. Its better to discuss it with Jose.”

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

About Peter Quinn

Although a college basketball coach for sixteen years on the NCAA Division I and II levels, Peter has been an avid football fan for more than half his life. He considers himself a student of coaching and team management. As well as coaching, Peter has spent time working in Sports Information at various colleges and universities. His articles on European football have been picked up by International Business Times UK and USA Today. Twitter: @CoachPeteQuinn
View all posts by Peter Quinn →

10 Responses to Louis van Gaal Will Talk Privately With Jose Mourinho Regarding Luke Shaw Comments

1. CTBlues says:

I don’t think he meant David Luiz but Felipe Luis because David Luiz never played in Spain he played in Portugal. Felipe also only won the Europa League and played in the Champions League final, Luiz won both.

2. Mufc77 says:

Or Chelsea backed away when they were told Shaw who i believe is a chelsea fan would rather sign for united. When have Chelsea ever worried about wages over the last 10 seasons. This is why united and other clubs never confirm interest in other players that way they can deny interest if the player turns them down. Every club does it to some extent but this sounds like Jose just trying to save face.

3. Martin J. says:

Jose is already playing his mind games and trying to unsettle United whom he sees as a threat this season. His comment puts pressure on Shaw to live up to his price tag and wages and if Shaw should have a poor game or two it will be seen as Jose being right about Shaw. It also forced LVG to respond, even if it was to say I’ll talk to Jose privately. Classic Mourinho.

• Pakapala says:

“His comment puts pressure on Shaw to live up to his price tag and wages and if Shaw should have a poor game or two it will be seen as Jose being right about Shaw.”

Oh yeah sure, the so-called mind game, huh? I am sure Luke Shaw is pissing in his pants as we speak going: “Hoo Papi Jose said this about me, now I have to live up to my price tag whereas I didn’t have that pressure before Papi Jose opened his mouth.”

Yeah right classic Mourinho indeed but more importantly your comment is a classic overreaction to anything that comes out of Mourinho’s mouth.

4. Smokey Bacon says:

I’m sure a swift kick in the nuts from LVG will put an end to Mourinho’s nonsense.

5. Yespage says:

Where in the article does it state that the two managers will talk privately about this? It sounded like it was just a saying.

• richardhandle13 says:

Re-read the last sentence. Van Gaal said he wouldn’t discuss Mourinho’s comments with the press. He said it was better to talk to Jose.

6. CTBlues says:

The only reason Shaw cost United £30m is because he is British. Just like when Liverpool over paid for Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing.

7. Phaka says:

The hype with van Gaal is too much.