A photo has been published on Twitter (see below) showing Colombian star James Rodriguez getting ready to board a plane from Medellin to Madrid preparing to board a plane to Madrid on its website.
Stories have surfaced out of Spain today that Rodriguez has told club officials at Monaco that he will practice with the team, but he does not want to play in any of their preseason matches. The 23-year-old attacking midfielder doesn’t want to risk any injuries prior to his move to Real Madrid according to the Spanish newspaper AS.
The Colombian international has announced his decision to club officials a day before he was supposed to join up with his Monaco teammates for preseason in Miami, where they are due to play Atletico Nacional on Wednesday.
Teammates of Rodriguez at Monaco appear resigned to the fact that the transfer is in the process of taking place.
Striker Valere Germain told the French newspaper L’Equipe: “If James leaves, as he’s considered as one of the best in Europe right now, it would be a huge loss. But Monaco can always buy new recruits. I’m sure we’ll have a team as competitive as last year.”
James joined the French club last year for £35.6 million ($60.8 million) from Porto, scoring 10 times in 38 games as his side finished as Ligue 1 runners-up.
Rodriguez decision could force Monaco to accept Real Madrid’s first offer for the player, which was rumored to be around £63.2 million ($107.9 million).