WED, 2:45PM ET
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

5 Reasons Why We’re Glad Brazil is Out of the World Cup

david luiz 600x848 5 Reasons Why Were Glad Brazil is Out of the World Cup

Not everyone will admit it publicly, but there are a lot of smiles and happy faces this morning with the realization that Brazil is out of the World Cup tournament. Those grins are even greater given the way Brazil were annihilated 7-1 by Germany in front of hundreds of millions of TV viewers worldwide.

Here are the 5 reasons why we’re glad Brazil is out of the tournament:

1. They played nowhere near as well as people expected.

There were two Brazil teams. There was the pre-World Cup team that dazzled fans worldwide with sumptuous performances, as well as an incredible 2013 Confederations Cup Final against Spain, establishing that the team — without any shadow of the doubt — was the world’s best. And by a huge margin.

And then there was the Brazil World Cup 2014 team who benefitted from refereeing decisions that went in their favor, dived to win a penalty to help beat Croatia, misfired with Fred and Jo, were fortunate to beat Chile and were very physical against Colombia in a match that soured many people’s opinions. This was not the same Brazil team we had seen in 2012 or 2013. It changed for the worse.

The number one reason why we’re glad Brazil is out of the tournament is because they simply weren’t good enough. They didn’t belong in the final.

2. Their football was anti-Brazil.

Especially against Germany, Brazil tried to play a brand of soccer that is not in their DNA. They played a counter-attacking style of soccer, with long balls floated diagonally to the wings, bypassing midfield to try to surprise Germany. It backfired.

For all of the reasons that we’ve loved Brazil in the past — the confidence on the ball, the amazing ball control skills and ability to take players on, the speed and dynamism and the breathtaking shots — all of that was gone from this Brazil team. We were left with a team that played with no soul, no passion and no sense of belief.

This wasn’t Brazil. This was anti-Brazil.

3. Brazil players and fans were too cocky.

I’m not sure who was as cocky — the Brazil fans or the players and coaches. Brazilians are a very patriotic people, but they also love to shove how good they are into the faces of other nations. They’re not shy about how they think their team is (or was) the best in the world. And the footballers and coaches feel the same way (Scolari said in November in Miami that Brazil would be world champions; he had no doubt).

It’s one thing to be confident, but it’s another thing to act like you’re more superior than other countries or people.

On Tuesday, Brazil fans and players fell back down to earth.

4. What’s with all the crying?

Have we ever seen a nation that has been so emotional about soccer? Have we ever seen so many grown men cry?

For example, could you imagine footballers from Germany, Argentina, England or Holland — just to name a few countries — doing the same thing as Julio Cesar, David Luiz and others?

Maybe it’s a cultural thing. It’s one thing to show your emotions, but to do it so publicly seems so strange to the rest of the world.

5. The Brazil team papered over the cracks in the country and in FIFA.

One of the other reasons why we’re glad that Brazil is out of the World Cup is because the more games the team won, the less the focus became on the problems that were rife before the tournament happened — the riots, the lack of public services, the $4 billion that FIFA makes in revenue (tax-free, I might add) and the anger from the Brazil public that the money spent on the World Cup should have been spent on Brazil instead.

Now that Brazil is out of the World Cup, maybe we’ll finally hear and see what the real Brazil is like. Not the one that was focused on a team winning.

Brazil, the mighty, have fallen. It couldn’t have happened to a nicer team.

This entry was posted in Brazil, World Cup, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 5 Reasons Why We’re Glad Brazil is Out of the World Cup

1. Amadeo says:

Poorly written, in my opinion. Author doesn’t sound objective.

2. Bergkamp_10 says:

2. Their football was anti-Brazil.

If it was anti-Brazil the scoreline would have been much more respectable. Scolari knew the quality of his attackers after Neymar went down, so should have defended to no ends and yet because of his stupid Brazilian attack mentality, he feels defending is not in his DNA. He played perfectly in Germany’s hands and Scolari sent his clueless Sheep for slaughter. There is just so much tactical mistake in yesterday’s game and I am sure there will be few PhD dissertations.

3. Adam says:

Totally agree with #3 and #1. I am glad they are out mostly for #3 and I am not shy to admit it. I just wish there were Brazilian fans in my office :)

4. Ryan M. says:

3 – In pro surfing, Brazilians are known to “claim” waves. Over-celebrating after a wave, almost challenging the judges to NOT give them a 9 or perfect 10. I think they emphatic about sport and their performance – probably cultural.

4 – The crying. Agreed. Just too much. And loud singing doesn’t win matches.

5 – I hope we see more.

5. rej4sl says:

I mostly agree with cocky, and anti brazil. But disagree about emotions. Nothing wrong with showing emotions, a shame a lot more people don’t show them.

6. brn442 says:

I’m not sure Brazilian fans (who know about football) were cocky. There has been a lot of criticism of the players and Scolari in the Brazilian press from match #1

That being said, anyone that has 5 stars on their shirt can be afforded to feel however they want about their team, especially at home.

Italia 90′ That Caniggia goal off of a sublime pass from Maradona, that sent Brazil packing and the young Brazilian women to start sobbing – priceless.

Seriously, fans cry all the time, from other countries/clubs. Remember those stunned, crying Liverpool fans at that Crystal Palace match? I’ve seen German, Italian, and Dutch fans cry. It happens when you expect your team to win things.

English national team fans don’t cry because they are don’t expect any better from their mediocre 3 lions.

I can assure you. If England were to win the cup, their fans would cry from shock.

7. Ivan says:

This Brazilian team managed to become very quickly, the most disliked team for a neutral.

For me, this happened very early: during the Croatia game, a game Brazil should have never won but for a ridiculous penalty by the Japanese referee. This was disgusting.

Here are a few more reasons to be jolly today:

1. Brazil can finally get over 1950, 2014 will live in memory for hundreds of years.

2. A Toronto FC player will never win the World Cup (seriously, this would have been beyond embarassing).

3. Fred and Hulk will likely never play for Brazil again: I would take any Iranian strikers rather than those 2 misunderstanding.

4. PSG paying 50mln for a defender who can’t defend to save his life! Joke’son them!

5. At least they didn’t lose to Argentina in the final at the Maracana, but they can still lose to them in the 3-4 place game.

6. Just because your country gave Zico, Pele, Garincha, to football, it doesn’t mean you are entitled to win the World Cup.

6. This Brazilian side is mediocre at best and did not deserve to go as far as the semi-finals.

7. Yes, what’s with all the crying? What’s with the holding of the Neymar jersey? Spare a minute of silence to honor all the workers who died building the stadiums in this misguided effort to host the World Cup.

I will write more when it comes to me.

Yes, yesterday was a glorious day, the world finally saw the King’s new clothes and realized that the King is, in fact, naked!

Well done, Germany! Well done, Miro Klose!

8. Grayson says:

Glad to see Brazil out, mainly because they have finally been exposed as being overrated. The results of the 2013 Confederations Cup flattered their true strength.

Before that, they were outside the top 10 in world rankings (I know, FIFA rankings are a joke), and it showed. One good mini tournament where everything went their way in a fairy tale type way, and they thought they could just do it again.

Emotion can win a Confed Cup for a host nation of decent strength, it’s not that big of a tournament, but it can’t take you all the way in the World Cup.

• Chris says:

Although I’m pleased they are out we shouldn’t discount their recent form and call them overrated. Everyone’s rankings had them as strong favorites, including my own, and not just because of home field advantage. They were a legitimate number one or number two team going into the Cup. They’ve dropped down to fourth in my rankings after the massacre yesterday. You can’t discount them because one mini-tournament went their way. Results count! You could just as easily say that one match yesterday did not go their way. Still, all that being said, yesterday was a wonderful day!

9. El Payaso says:

This is rich coming from an English fan…I reckon your article abbot England’s dismal showing isn’t coming up anytime soon.

10. gillyrosh says:

Please explain to me why the word “emotion” – as used in this piece – is almost always equated with crying? If I remember correctly, players from Germany, Argentina, England or Holland have all shown emotion during this tournament – when they scored goals or won games. The emotion is called joy. When are you going to castigate Holland for showing so much emotion after their PK shootout with Costa Rica.

And while we are on the subject, what is wrong with crying to express sadness or disappointment? Again, I remember lots of crying from the Bayern players (many of whom are on the current Germany team) when they lost the 2012 UCL final.

This is retrograde “analysis” at its worst!

• Christopher Harris says:

I don’t think I said that the crying was wrong. I just find it peculiar that Brazilian players — more than any team in this World Cup — have cried the most this tournament.

Why are they so much more emotional (in terms of crying) than any other country at this World Cup?

11. Damstylee says:

I’m in support of 1,2 and 5… but 3 and 4…. nah!

Its expected for Brazilian players and fans to be cocky… I mean its Brazil! They are not five time world champions for the fun of it… It’s just like telling Real Madrid players not to push their chests put in pride on a champions league match night… Their heritage screams football, cockiness is not a crime… especially not for them.

Secondly, I don’t know why showing emotions or crying is a bad thing… I mean they disappointed thousands of fans and millions of Brazilians not to talk of themselves . As a passionate supporter of football, I’m a Yes Yes for showing emotions… Because its just a sign that you’re passionate for the game… I didn’t see anybody chastening James Rodriguez when he was pouring an ocean from his eyes…

• truck says:

Brazil’s earned the right to be cocky – they’ve only won the thing five times! If you want to see arrogance, look at US athletes at the Olympic games, especially track, swimming and basketball

12. Toby says:

Reasons I wanted Brazil to lose.

1. Brazilian fans going to games that Brazil wasn’t playing in and booing the team they saw as the biggest threat to them. That isn’t very sporting.

2. Seeing Brazil play in front of crowds that were exclusively white and rich crowds. Brazil is a diverse country and football is the game of the people not the privileged.

3. The amount of bad calls they got in their favour from refs made me root against them. Especially when the Brazilian public and media demonised Howard Webb for daring to make a correct decision against them.

4. Brazil is a country of many problems and football is used to mask these problems and not do anything about them.

5. I don’t want Neymar to win the world cup. He is a good player, but the corporate hype machine that started in Brazil wants to put him as one of the top three players in the world when he isn’t in the top 10.

13. Marshal says:

I agree with you guys that Brazil had such a horrible performance in this world cup and somehow managed to get to semifinals( trynna figure out what other team’s level is like)I mean the ones which left earlier…anyways even after the huge loss to Germany, tons of other nations are likely to take ages to then finally have those 5 stars printed right close to the heart

14. Bryan says:

In Latin America football is extremely emotional, if you watch closely during games with Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Chile and Mexico there was always people crying their hearts out. Latin America is as diverse as USA, but football, religion and politics are extremely emotional to these people. It’s impressive!

15. Ana Rachel says:

I don’t agree with you!!!! I am brazilian and I love my country…you dont know nothing about us…we are emotional!
    It is important you learn more about us and after write better than this poor text…
    Só tenho algo a dizer… ” sabe de nada, inocente! “

16. ahmad aqeel says:

This article is ridiculous, personally I wanted brazil to exit the WC but not in this way. This loss is going to scar the lives of the young players who played the game forever.”whats with all the crying”, I actually pity you as you are obviously not a passionate fan. Football is a religion in brazil, its the only thing they have, seriously. They’re economy is sh**, they extremely high unemployment rates, they’re education system is terrible, even their public transport is rubbish. And you sir are very simple minded, you dont get how big this actually is. In Brazil when the national team doesn’t win the WC it is considered a failure , then just imagine how bad it is when they lise by SEVEN goals!

• chris says:

He was talking about the players crying. And they have much more than football! Okay yeah they were very emotional but crying after they won their shoot-out was pretty embarrassing, even a few Brazilian legends from the past were embarrassed! Feel a bit sorry for the fans but certainly not this Brazilian team.

17. Mmna says:

I think maybe the strategy used against germany inspired by real madrid vs bayern recently…MAYBE