SUN, 8:30AM ET
LAG1
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

Luis Suarez Issues Apology And Vows Never to Bite Again

luis suarez apology 600x321 Luis Suarez Issues Apology And Vows Never to Bite Again

Uruguay and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has issued a public apology for his actions that occurred during the Uruguay-Italy World Cup game, and has vowed not to repeat another incident like that ever again.

Suarez bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on June 24 during the second half of the final Group match between the two nations. Subsequently, FIFA banned Luis Suarez for nine international games and four months despite appeals from his Uruguayan teammates and coach who blamed the English media for sensationalizing the incident.

Today, Suarez has apologized for his actions. His statement reads:

“After several days of being home with my family, I have had the opportunity to regain my calm and reflect about the reality of what occurred during the Italy-Uruguay match on 24 June 2014.

“Independent from the fallout and the contradicting declarations that have surfaced during these past days, all of which have been without the intention of interfering with the good performance of my national team, the truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.

“For this:

“1. I deeply regret what occurred.

“2. I apologize to Giorgio Chiellini and the entire football family.

“3. I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like this involving me.”

Whether his actions are a result of how he truly feels, or if he understands the magnitude of his actions which threaten his career and sponsorship opportunities, we won’t know. But at least Suarez has taken a positive step in admitting that he made a mistake and apologizing for it.

Meanwhile, Chiellini has accepted Suarez’s apology.

What’s your opinion about Suarez’s apology? Do you think he should be forgiven? And do you believe his words? Share your opinion in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Luis Suarez, Uruguay, World Cup, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Luis Suarez Issues Apology And Vows Never to Bite Again

1. MntD says:

What a POS! He admits to biting but it was due to a collision. He could have kept this non-admission to himself.

2. El Payaso says:

He wasn’t trying to hurt Chiellini. He was just trying get into a Subway commercial, by tucking into a tasty Italian.

3. fernandopurres says:

Speaking of which what the hell was up with the Day 15 podcast where Laurence McKenna bizarrely compared the english media to the age of British imperialism/racism? Did Laurence do the podcast right after he took a Howard Zinn history class?

Uruguay media/politicians has never mentioned british imperialism so that’s what makes this reference even more out of left field.

I mean really Laurence? Do you really need to play out your personal issues with British imperialism/white guilt in a soccer podcast you do?

Between this and bringing up Ann Coulter and her trollbait article I think Laurence has completley lost the plot.

“Does that at all make any sense there?”

NOOO. The English media is bad, its had its excesses but in this case they haven’t been sensationalist enough. Suarez and Uruguay is 100% in the wrong here and bringing up British imperialism to, I guess you were playing Devils Advocate but in reality it just seemed like you were excusing their behavior (like a black person using the race card).

I mean by the same token you could say the criticism of the officiating and accusations of fixing and bribery of South Korea during the 2002 World Cup was sympatomatic of white imperalist hatred and condescending attitude towards the Korean people when Theodore Roosevelt and the west sold the Koreans to the Japanese during the Treaty of Portsmouth. “We think you guys are backwards, we need to tell you what to do!”

See how nonsensical that sounds? Yet that’s what Laurence did, you can do that with pretty much any country and any group of people.

I’ve put my real email so Laurence if you have a issue with anything I’ve said please feel free to contact me.

• Laurence says:

Hi fernandopurres,

I have a few questions about what you’re saying in this post, mainly about if you think that the mentality of previous ages has any influence on modern day history.

laurence@lozcast.com

I think that it’s more complicated than we’ve had time to discuss on the podcast, but to me it’s clear and was fairly clear back in 2010 that the British media showed some of the characteristics of the moralising generations which had gone before it. Maybe it’s not just a colonial link but you’d say that it has some relevance to what Britain is built on today.

To be clear, I wasn’t making a direct comparison between a colonial master and modern British media. I’d be interested to hear if you think that: even if there aren’t links between colonialism and this then do we have some issue with moral entitlement?

Laurence

Laurence

4. R.O says:

That statement wasn’t written by Suarez, it was written for him by his agent or someone who advises Suarez.

IMO he was advised by people back home to issue an apology of some type for the good of his future, whatever it will be (i.e. club, transfer, etc.)

5. Guy says:

Obviously, the chew toy that has been attached to Luis’s wrist has lost its power. I suggest he carry a frozen Snickers around his waste that he can bite into whenever he doesn’t quite feel himself.

Snickers….if you don’t sign this guy up you are missing a fabulous opportunity!

6. jtm371 says:

Nice note from your agent. Three time loser I am sorry your done to me. I will never watch you play another match EVER. By the way hope your teeth don’t hurt anymore nice lie to fifa.

7. EDub says:

Ok, this headline is hilarious – Suarez sounds like a 6 year after a bad day in preschool.

8. rej4sl says:

What apology. He needs to apologize for intentionally chomping at the shoulder of Chiellini. That is the apology he needs to make and to Chiellini himself not via his agent on Twitter.

9. Daniel says:

When your behavior is emotional and irrational, to “vow” you won’t do it again is not believable.

Suarez may truly intend to never bite an opponent again. But to believe he never will bite again just because he “vowed” is foolhardy.

10. Tony Butterworth says:

How does this make his teammates, manager and FA look. They all said he didn’t do it :)

• Duncan says:

so did he:

“After the impact … I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth.”

Lying through his teeth, then?

11. Smokey Bacon says:

Unless he was on his way to the dentist to have his teeth removed when he issued this statement, he will do it again.

12. Mufc77 says:

FIFA should increase the ban for blatantly lying on his original statement. There’s no way his punishment can be reduced on appeal after this admission. Suarez doesn’t even have the balls to make the apology in public. Having someone Issue a statement on his behalf is the cowards way out but I wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

13. Jeff says:

I’ll believe his third point if we never have to talk about a future Suarez biting incident….

14. Brn442 says:

“Pregnant for the last time” – of course – really.

15. rkujay says:

Collision? He is in denial. Save this for the next time Luisito has a ‘collision’.