Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Manchester United Owner Malcolm Glazer Has Died, Age 85

Malcolm Glazer 600x450 Manchester United Owner Malcolm Glazer Has Died, Age 85

Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer has died, age 85.

In a statement from the club, it reads “Manchester United’s thoughts are prayers are with the Glazer family.”

In 2005, Glazer purchased Manchester United. Since then, the club captured five Premier League titles (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2013), as well as the 2008 Champions League title. During his leadership of United, the owner was often criticized by sections of the United crowd who launched anti-Glazer campaigns such as the LUHG one (“Love United, Hate Glazer”).

Mr. Glazer’s long established estate succession plan has assured the United will remain with the Glazer family. Manchester United’s co-chairmen are his sons, Joel Glazer and Avram Glazer.

Glazer is understood to have been in ill health for a number of years. While his death will come as a blow to the Glazer family, it’s not expected that his passing will make much of a difference to Manchester United.

A resident of Palm Beach, Florida, Glazer leaves behind his wife, Linda, six children and 14 grandchildren.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Manchester United Owner Malcolm Glazer Has Died, Age 85

• Mufc77 says:

You are pathetic excuse for a human.

• Marc says:

Good thing I didn’t write what I really wanted to. He was my Walter O’Malley so please let me mourn my loss in peace.

• Jake says:

He died whatever prejudices you may have had shouldn’t matter.
          Life is the most precious thing we could ever have or want. No matter how bad anyone may have been they don’t deserve their deaths to be mocked or celebrated. It’d not like he’s a murderer or something.

1. NC says:

Leveraged takeovers weren’t invented by Malcolm Glazer. I’ve never understood the fans problem with this. The value of the club today would certainly more than cover the debt on the clubs balance sheet. Furthermore United have won a lot on the Glazer’s watch. So what’s the issue?

• Jake says:

Let’s leave the football out of this. Frankly there is no decense of the Glazers those trophies were won by the brilliance of Ferguson.
      I never liked the man for the way he’s treated United as a piggy bank but he died and no game or sport comes for that. Respect to you Malcolm.

• NC says:

Why leave the football out of it? Isn’t that what fans care about? The rest of Football laughs at Arsenal for bragging about their healthy balance sheet but lack of recent championships.

• Jake says:

I dislike him and I’m sure a great many people do. That’s why I said to keep the football out of it.
          A man died what does that have to do with Arsenal’s balance sheet?

• NC says:

Nothing at all but it does illustrate the hypocracy seen in fans that will waffle on the importance of finances. Furthermore, I’m the one being complimentary of the deceased so don’t give me “a man died”.

• Marc says:

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it’s much more serious than that.”
        Bill Shankley

• Jake says:

United were in the black before he came along and still are but a good 50 million pounds every year goes to pay off HIS debt.
          That’s why many United fans have boycotted club merchandise.
          I used to travel to watch United twice a year but not any more. I don’t like the fact that 50 million is coming out of the clubs pocket towards financing debt.
          It’s just not right. He’s a businessman so he’s here to make the money. But I rarely see any of the Glazers at United games if ever.
          I’ve seen Roman, City’s people, David Whelan, hell I’ve even seen Vincent Tan at more Cardiff games than I can say about all of the Glazers.

2. JR says:

When good people pass away, it is a time for mourning. When bad people die, I usually choose to stay quiet while being secretly a little happy about it. I don’t believe in helping bad people on their way, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over the death of some guy who enriched himself while putting crushing debts on others. These folks are reprehensible and their passing is not a loss to humanity.