The Neutral’s Guide to the Premier League Title Race
Three teams still have a mathematical shot at lifting the Barclays Premier League trophy on May 11th. Let’s look at each of the three from a neutral perspective.
Why neutrals should support Liverpool
1. The most traditional club of the three with 18 top flight titles but no title since 1990.
2. Sentiment – This month marked the 25th Anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster where 96 LFC fans were killed due to failure of police control.
3. Steven Gerrard, one of the great English players of this generation, has never won a League title.
4. Luis Suarez is one of the best players on the planet and winning a title may ensure he stays another season in English football.
5. Liverpool feature slick, silky attacking soccer that England’s top flight has not seen in many years.
Why neutrals should support Chelsea
1. Jose Mourinho is the most colorful figure in English and perhaps world soccer.
2. Did the double over the other two title contenders.
3. Strong tactical discipline should be rewarded with another title.
4. Have genuinely improved the league with the January signings of Mohammed Salah and Nemanja Matić.
5. A fourth and final title for Frank Lampard, one of the greatest player of this generation in England.
Why neutrals should support Manchester City
1. Manchester City has the reputation of having fun loving fans that are less argumentative than that of other top sides.
2. City have won only three top flight titles, making this the historically weakest side of the three title contenders.
3. A group of likable players led by Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero.
4. A first league title in Europe as a manager for Chilean Manuel Pellegrini.
5. For fans of soccer in the United States, it will be useful for the Blues to be holders of the Premier League Trophy when NYCFC begins MLS play in March 2015.