WED, 2:45PM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

uefa champions league Manchester United vs Bayern Munich and Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid, 1st Leg: Open Thread

The quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League kick off today with two matches that will be played simultaneously, making it a tough decision which one to watch.

For viewers in the United States, here is today’s TV and Internet schedule:

Manchester United vs Bayern Munich, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 1, FOX Deportes and FOX Soccer 2Go
Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 2, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go

For the Manchester United-Bayern Munich game on FOX Sports 1, the commentators will be Gus Johnson and Eric Wynalda. In the studio for FOX Sports will be Rob Stone, Warren Barton, Brian McBride and Mikael Silvestre.

Starting line-ups:

Manchester United: De Gea, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Büttner, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Giggs, Rooney, Welbeck

Subs: Lindegaard, Hernandez, Nani, Young, Fletcher, Januzaj, Kagawa

Bayern Munich: Neuer; Rafinha, Boateng, Martinez, Alaba; Schweinsteiger, Lahm Kroos; Robben, Muller, Ribery

=================================

Barcelona: Pinto; Alves, Mascherano, Piqué, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Fábregas; Iniesta, Neymar, Messi.

Atletico Madrid: Courtois; Juanfran, Godín, Miranda, F.Luis; Gabi, Tiago, Koke, A.Turan; Villa, D.Costa.

=================================

Before, during or after today’s matches, join the conversation in the comments section below with fellow soccer fans from around the world.

42 Responses to Manchester United vs Bayern Munich and Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid, 1st Leg: Open Thread

1. San Fransiscan says:

How long will it take for Silvestre to figure out that he is surrounded by idiots except for McBride?

2. San Fransiscan says:

HAHAHA Meular, oh that Gus is really back.

3. Mufc77 says:

Wait that’s not the same Dani Behr on fox that Giggys was with 20+ years ago is it?

4. Rick says:

FOX- learn from NBC and ESPN and stop treating soccer like it’s a low priority.

5. Burnsey says:

Robben FIRES

6. tobyjim says:

It’s bad enough to have that stupid banner underneath but Gus Johnson. Why are we punished so. Did you just hear him screaming goal when any halfwit could tell you the whistle had goner. F*** off Fox sports, miserable wankers. Stick to your stupid American slow motion fast food sports.

7. Tayo says:

Gus Johnson called Jerome Boateng a ‘veteran central defender’

8. Cantona says:

It’s official: even the casual fan HATES Gus Johnson and Eric Wynalda’s commentary

Twitter is blowing up with negative comments and we are only ten minutes in.

So much for Fox trying to attract the “casual” fan. It seems even they can spot a phoney when they see it.

Cantona—

• Cantona says:

Watching a “alternate” broadcast… But I have been monitoring twitter and Facebook on the USA broadcast and can’t believe the negative comments on Fox.

The ratio is about 20-1 negative response to the Fox broadcast of the Manchester v Bayern match.

I think the volume of comments is triple or quadruple to the volume compared to last year.

This is definitely NOT the hardcore fans complaining, this is the casual/mainstream fan

Cantona—

9. Alex Riley says:

Ah,Fox. Might as well put Bill O’Reilly on the commentary. He’s probably just as good as these two clowns.

10. Mufc77 says:

Did Gus just ask what are Bayern looking for? You would think your lead commentator would know what they are trying to do.

11. tobyjim says:

Gus, the Fox sport expert .. “sideline throw – Man U. Bottom of the center circle. Each second that goes by for Manchester United has to be a confidence booster. Bayern will receive once again. Beautiful slide by Jones”

Thats enough for me – can’t listen any more.

12. Burnsey says:

How long are the Old Trafford faithful going to tolerate United sitting back defending their 18.

• Mufc77 says:

They don’t have a choice the midfield players aren’t technically good enough to play in tight spaces so they end up hitting it long and they end up under pressure again

13. Mufc77 says:

Nice play from mooooooooooooooler

14. Tony Butterworth says:

Weird team selection.

Gus is terrible, excited at the wrong moments, dumb comments, repeated use of the same phrases, constant references to Man U.

Welbeck Fires
    Robben Fires
    Ribery Fires
    Kroos Fires

15. Burnsey says:

It’s like watching Barcelona pass back and forward across the 18. Has De Gea really been troubled?

16. Bo says:

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid is a much better game. No terrible Gus too!

17. Faithless says:

Eric Shanks— this debacle is all on you

This is Solely YOUR decision

You need to be FIRED!

Shanks OUT

18. Tony Butterworth says:

Man U with the nil-one lead. Phffff

19. Burnsey says:

Somebody somewhere is enjoying Martin Tyler and Gary Neville…..I just mauled Gus on Twitter and already 20 people have retweeted.

20. CassanovaFrankenstein says:

Good lord, Gus is absolutely atrocious at this. Is this even real any more?

21. Bo says:

Please tell me tomorrow PSG v Chelsea will be back to normal commentators? Please Please Please!!!

22. PhillySpur says:

Does anyone know if Tiger is going to play in the Masters?

23. Guy says:

David “Moyce”???? SMH

24. Mission Man says:

Holy crap, that was the worst announcing job I’ve ever heard. Gus Johnson still isn’t any better than he was when he started, and Eric Wynalda was woefully incompetent as an analyst. I swear I thought that I would destroy my TV if I heard Wynalda say “I like it” one more time. I liked him on Fox Soccer Report and even on the old Fox Football Fone-in, but he is horrible as a game analyst.

25. Lon says:

Gus said Diego Costa scored Atletico’s goal. IT WAS DIEGO!!!!

26. Ianor says:

Never seen such so much pple complaining a comentator. But i really feel for yu. I thought we were listening same comms. For alan parry and alan smith

27. David says:

Does anyone know who the broadcasters are on Sirius radio for the Champions League? I can’t take another match of Gus Johnson. He’s beyond terrible.

28. Peter Quinn says:

I watched the game on FoxSoccer2Go. I had no issues. I just got home and re-watched some of the United match. I had to turn it off. Johnson and Wynalda were beyond bad. I honestly turned it on expecting it to be bad, but it was worse. Wynalda’s “analysis” is amateurish. If FOX wanted a former USMNT voice in the booth, they should have gone with McBride. Wynalda thinks he’s an expert and thinks he’s entertaining.

I’m stunned that the commentary was so bad. Absolutely no improvement.

I’ll continue watching the matches online…even if I’m home and have the option of watching it on TV.

29. Brian says:

Again, when Gus is commentating all the comments are about him not the game.

I would think this would annoy me but it doesn’t. The guy is a complete cretin – do the people at Fox not realize this?

I have the great fortune to be in Ireland for most of the Word Cup but please accept my condolences for having to put up with this idiot for such a major event.

30. jtm371 says:

It is just fox giving us the big FU to us football fans plan and simple.What a waste of a great tournament.

31. scrumper says:

Not a bad game. Fellaini finally proved tonight he is 6ft 5in traffic cone

32. Mark Walker says:

Atlético Madrid and Barcelona met for the fourth time this season and for the fourth time they drew