SUN, 8:30AM ET
THU, 1PM ET
TRI
THFC
SAT, 7:45AM ET
AST
NEW

Out With The New, In With The Old (Commenting System, That Is)

Have your say Out With The New, In With The Old (Commenting System, That Is)

The readers have spoken. Two weeks ago, World Soccer Talk launched a new commenting system to replace the previous one. Despite the commenting system (Matchchat) having a number of cutting edge features, we’ve decided to revert back to the previous system due to unanimous feedback from the readers.

The reason World Soccer Talk moved to Matchchat in the first place was to add functionality that the old system didn’t have — such as reducing spam, allowing users to show off the team they supported, reducing the amount of trolls, allowing infinite number of replies to a single comment, etc.

While Matchchat significantly simplified the amount of time I moderate the comments section each day (removing spam, blocking trolls and censoring profanity — in itself, that’s literally a part-time job), the new commenting system failed to take off as well as I thought it would.

Unfortunately the 400+ comments that were posted in the past two weeks via Matchchat have disappeared into Cyberspace, so we’ll need to pick up from where we were two weeks ago (hence why some of the articles have zero comments right now).

It’s important that World Soccer Talk continues to listen to its readers, as we’ve done for the past eight years. We’ve got several very exciting announcements to make in the coming weeks, so we want to ensure that the heart of World Soccer Talk remains strong as ever — which is you, the readers, participating in the commenting sections.

I hope you appreciate the decision for us to revert back to the old commenting system. It’s going to take a lot more work on my part instead of Matchchat, but I honestly hope you’ll embrace the change and return to commenting as often (or more) than you did before.

Two other quick announcements: 1) The ‘latest comments’ widget has returned to the right sidebar, so you can see the latest comments across the site. And 2) Watch out for World Soccer Talk Forums coming soon, where we’ll be adding a message board to the site to encourage readers to start up their own conversations, and to join in other interesting topics.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Out With The New, In With The Old (Commenting System, That Is)

1. ThompsonLives says:

Well done, Gaffer.

2. EPLNFL says:

Thanks Chris. That’s why your our leader!

3. Guy says:

Too bad it didn’t take. I was just getting used to it. Oh, well…”back” to the future for now. :-)

4. goatslookshifty says:

The fans have spoken. I only wish Man Utd’s board would listen to their supporters and revert back to Sir Alex Ferguson.

• rkujay says:

I was just thinking that if only…

If only the chosen one could see a bad move and do something about it…

Please resign, Mr. Moyes, and save my team.

5. Smokey Bacon says:

Thanks Gaffer. Hopefully the regulars will all come back. I’m delighted to be back on here posting my usual drivel. I’m also very happy to resume my prolific use of the thumbs down button.

6. Rick Smith says:

Why not use the system that Gawker Media and the Guardian use. With it, I use my Google+ which let’s me share public comments without giving access to my private circles postings. Other social media sites are also available to sign in with. I have Twitter but only use it for listening and never use Facebook. Oh well, something to think about.

7. Cantona says:

Thank God!!

I haven’t made a comment since match chat went live.. My browsers never recognized it …

It’s good to be home!

Cantona—

8. Tony Butterworth says:

Good news !!!!

Now get the forum going :)

9. Flyvanescence says:

Props gaffer. And welcome back all the regulars who had issues with matchchat!

10. Americano & Proud says:

Thanks everyone. Glad to be back and just in time for the MLS season and the end of the champions league.

11. Mufc77 says:

Good stuff gaffer. I’m glad you’re willing evaluate the feedback you get and make the necessary changes to maintain your high standards. Do you fancy taking over from David Moyes and doing the same?

• Christopher Harris says:

…after the summer transfer window ends, sure, as long as United pick up 6 players this summer that don’t need much coaching! :)

12. scott says:

Glad to see the old system is back, it just didn’t feel right not having people down voting my comments ;) . Also it’s nice everyone coming back.

13. jtm371 says:

Guy
    Congrats on your Potters today what a day Arsenal lost and so did matchchat.

14. jtm371 says:

Chris
    thanks for being flexible and going back.I was going to sent a email and voice my feelings but you read my mind.Onward and upward!Keep up the great work!

15. Nonsense says:

Finally…Im back

16. rkujay says:

If only…

If only the spammers could see that when one steals advertising space, consumers must conclude that said business is about to fail and must resort to theft, and/or that said business would steal from consumers as well. In any event, I can only hope that there is a special space in hell for spammers.

I will now put away my soapbox and start a petition to get Mr. Moyes the hell out of Old Trafford…yesterday.

17. Ianor says:

Wonderfull chris! Yu shown today that yu are the father of the democracy. Two weeks ago i decided not to comment again due to system change. But now iam back thanks chris..

18. Ken says:

The reason why this site is so popular…..you listen. Top marks.

19. Pakapala says:

Very good decision Christopher. Apparently I could only use the matchchat feedback thing only on my cellphone and tablet which wasn’t convenient at all. Plus the Recent comments is so useful. Thanks for listening to the readers.

20. Clampdown says: