MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
ATL
OLY
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV
MAL

nemanja vidic Nemanja Vidic Decides to Leave Manchester United at End Of Season: Nightly Soccer Report

Manchester United’s number one defender Nemanja Vidic has confirmed that he will leave the club at the end of the season, according to the official Manchester United website.

In a statement issued by the defender, the Serbian said:

“It’s the last year of my contract and I have had eight wonderful years here. My time at this great club will always rank as the best years of my career.

“I never could have imagined winning 15 trophies and I will certainly never forget that fantastic night in Moscow, memories that will live with me and the fans forever. However, I have decided that I will move on at the end of this season. I want to challenge myself again and try to make the best of myself in the coming years.

“I’m not considering staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United and I was lucky enough to be part of this club for so many years. I’ve got a few options to move on and I will choose the right one for me and for my family.

“I am now going to focus all my efforts on playing for Manchester United and do the best I can for the team until the end of the season. I hope this stops any further speculation about my future.”

Vidic’s decision to leave United will come as a major blow to manager David Moyes. First, it means he’s leaving on a free transfer. Second, Vidic’s decision not to extend his contract at United is definitely a blow to a club like Man United.

Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:

Premier League

US soccer

International soccer

The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United, nemanja vidic. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Nemanja Vidic Decides to Leave Manchester United at End Of Season: Nightly Soccer Report

1. Dean Stell says:

He’s been a good player for the club and I admire how he just issued a classy statement about the situation.

I’ll wish him well, but it is probably time to get a little younger back there.

2. jtm371 says:

sad to say but will this move make Shrek the Captain. Sad day when Shrek is the face of your side. All the crap he pulled to get more money.Oh well GO FOREST!

3. Smokey Bacon says:

Maybe Anderson was right.

4. Mufc77 says:

Hardly a surprise that he’s leaving and its probably for the best. He’s not the player he was after the knee injury and keeping him around only hinders the development of players like phil jones at center back. He’s secured his place in the clubs history and will easily go down as one of the best center backs to have played in the EPL. He’s been a fans favorite from the moment he arrived and has always led by example on the pitch.

5. CTBlues says:

A move to MLS could be in his future I see.

• Mufc77 says:

He could probably play 1-2 seasons in Italy before dropping down to the MLS level. Then again if some MLS team offered BIG money and a 3-4 year deal he might decide to take early retirement now and sign a deal with a team. The problem is big name European players don’t want to play in philadelphia or Kansas they usually only want the glamour of LA or NY.

6. IU Gonzo says:

It’s possible that the club never really offered him an extension to his liking and he read the writing on the wall. In that case, how could it be a blow to the club?

7. Considering Fergie’s policy of sorting expiring contracts out well before they expire (as in, before Fergie decided to pack it in) there’s a good chance this was on the cards for some time.

SB

8. christian says:

A great player for United. Wasn’t he player of the year back in 2010-2011? He was such a beast on defense.

9. goatslookshifty says:

The recent gripe about Utd is that Fergie left Moyes a declining group of older players. Vidic is one of them so Utd supporters should bid him farewell with respect and hope they get someone of equal quality to replace him. He was fearless in the air and tackled with ferocity. Vidic can be proud of his career and no-one should ever question his work ethic and loyalty to his club.