WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League Gameweek 24: Open Thread

man city chelsea programme Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League Gameweek 24: Open Thread

Here we go. The biggest Premier League match of the season with so much on the line. Everyone’s predicting a cagey 1-0 match. Pellegrini and Mourinho may have a different scoreline in mind.

For viewers in the United States, the match will be shown live on NBCSN at 3pm ET.

The starting line-ups are in:

Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany (c), Nastasic, Kolarov, Navas, Demichelis, Toure, Silva, Dzeko, Negredo

Subs: Pantilimon, Boyata, Clichy, Milner, Rodwell, Lopes, Jovetic

Chelsea: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; David Luiz, Matic; Ramires, Willian, Hazard; Eto’o

Subs: Schwarzer, Cole, Mikel, Lampard, Oscar, Salah, Ba

Team news: Torres is out due to an injury. Demichelis appears to be replacing Fernandinho in the midfield today.

Here’s Matt Jones’s preview of today’s pivotal match:

After another scintillating performance in midweek, Manchester City have given themselves a wonderful chance to cruise off into the distance at the top of the Premier League table. Tottenham were battered for the second time this season by Manuel Pellegrini’s team, and they show no signs of slowing down as we edge ever closer to the business end of the Premier League campaign.

City have a perfect home record and it’s difficult to see any team going to the Etihad and preventing a rout, never mind nicking a positive result. But if anyone can eek a draw or a narrow win out, it might be Jose Mourinho and his Chelsea team.

A wholly frustrating 0-0 draw against West Ham put a holt to their momentum in midweek, but Chelsea are a team who always seem to excel in what you’d call the “big” games. Their manager will have them well prepared for the task of facing City, and if they can somehow fashion a victory on the road, then it’d thrust them right back into the title reckoning.

A City win and it’s looking increasingly like they are going to be very, very difficult to halt on their way to Premier League glory.

Before, during or after today’s match, join the conversation in the comments section below with fellow soccer fans from around the world.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League Gameweek 24: Open Thread

1. ianor says:

jon champion&dany mills. Those two are perfect to listen in a game of this magnitude.

2. jtm371 says:

City 4/ chelski 1

3. Sean says:

I can’t get the game to even start streaming on NBC Sports Live Extra. Anyone else having problems? It says “Buffering” for awhile and then just goes black.

• Christopher Harris says:

I was having the same problem with the West Ham-Swansea game on Saturday and I never was able to get it to work. The only thing I can recommend is to restart your computer and browser. If that doesn’t work, try it on a tablet.

4. Frill Artist says:

I can’t stand Arlo White commentating. His habit of going off into pointless tirades of mind numbing statistics that have little relevance to the game at hand just rubs me off the wrong way. I wish he would just shut up or talk less.

• Burnsey says:

I am with you on that…annoying

• Frill Artist says:

“Oh and Chelsea playing with 10 men wearing half pink and half white socks have never conceded a goal before 35 minutes at home in front of a crowd of 65,000 when it’s snowing with a mix of rain while playing with a 4-1-2-1-2 formation. The only time they have ever conceded was back in 1979.”

Okay, thanks for the information Mr Googler but I want to hear what is going on in the match not what happened 30 or 40 years ago.

• Guy says:

Haha. Nice job. The “qualified stat” is my least favorite bit of sports commentary. Unfortunately, it is rampant amongst pundits everywhere.

• Cantona says:

cant stream today.. and like alot are suffering through Arlo’s talking about everything EXCEPT what is happening on the pitch. Tim Howard is no better.. I really dont know what NBC is thinking here.. this is NOT working. I think the more games Arlo does, the more he continues to talk about irrelevant issues and ignores key action on the pitch.

this is just gimmicky from NBC

Cantona—

• jtm371 says:

a white is awful can not shut up for more than 2 seconds and Howard is way out of his element.Hello talksport.

5. jtm371 says:

Chelsea has City on tilt halftime can not come soon enough.

6. Burnsey says:

Looks like Ashley Cole is officially a backup.

7. M Owen says:

i really hope USA go deep into the worldcup as i really do not want Tim Howard spoiling the worldcup knockout stages commentating.

• Burnsey says:

I hope he plays longer than Brad Friedell because once he retires he will be a fixture on NBC

• Clampdown says:

I think ESPN has the rights, no? If so, you’ll get Taylor Twellman telling you how awesome Kyle Beckerman is every match. Quite frankly, I’d rather listen to Howard mumble through a match than listen to TT. Or better yet, turn to ESPN Deportes.

8. Smokey Bacon says:

I suppose the Chelsea brigade will be on here giving it large after this one. Fair play. It’s made the title race a little more interesting.

9. jtm371 says:

The fourth official is sponsored by EA Sports is that new? Never saw it before.

10. Flyvanescence says:

Thought wed lose as soon as i saw 4-4-2 with negredo and dzeko up top. Awful display, and Matic is outplaying Toure.

But, this also shows how little depth we have at CM. Gareth Barry, where art thou?

11. Guy says:

City the textbook example of not taking your chances today.

• Ken says:

Be serious it was Chelsea that hit the woodwork 3 times and had a 4on1.

• Guy says:

City could have easily been up 2-0 within the first ten minutes, which would have entirely changed the match and had numerous other opportunities to score. They converted nothing, which is less than Chelsea did.

• jtm371 says:

would have helped my prediction.

• Ken says:

Chelsea won with some ease and you just can’t stand it. Let me guess, a gooner.

• jtm371 says:

Guy is a Stoke supporter and I am a Forest supporter no bias just what he saw.If you go back and watch the first ten minutes you will see 3 very good chances.

• Guy says:

Ken, I’m a Stoke fan which gives me more than enough to worry about. I didn’t care one bit who won the match, was just stating
            my opinion. You don’t agree? Fine, but you don’t need to resort to calling people names like “gooner”. I’m devestated.

• Guy says:

See? I was so distraught I couldn’t even spell “devastated”!

12. ianor says:

Never heard it before a current player co-commentating a match.

• Todd says:

He’s actually done it for at least two other matches this season. I’ve enjoyed listening to him. He’s done a pretty good job so far. It’s always nice to get some insights into the match from a level-headed player’s perspective. One who isn’t obnoxious and annoying to listen to.

• scrumper says:

He needs to keep his day job because I don’t see commentating in his future.

13. scott says:

After today’s display no one one can ever we over paid for ferdinho. And who says city have depth? Demichellis at holding mid. However, all things considered it was a leftfooted shoot by a severer outside the box which beat em.

14. Dave says:

Kyle Martino’s pre-match tactical analysis of Manchester City was quite laughable. “Double high triangles”? He should stick to MLS.

15. nick p says:

lets be honest, the commentating on this game was atrocious, they made the biggest game of the season sound like a pre-season friendly, Tim Howard drones on all the time, no space was left unfilled, Arlo is OK with the other guys, but please, no more Tim Howard